• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another turbo question

painkiller

Alrighty went to alberdeen had a great time there got ALOT of good knowledge, now i have a 465-1c motor in the deuce however the ones i saw there whistled way more than mine does so i talked to some people about it and checked out there turbo and listened to it but here is the thing... the rebuild date on mine is may 1992, and i was wondering if any of you could clear this up because it looks like a 1c turbo... but the exaust side has a bigger bulge on it i think than the one i saw there and i am thinking the blades are bigger... thus no whistle unless i am going up a hill and really trying to get it up there, what i did today was took the intake pipe off and rotated the blades and they were fine, took the stack off because i have a muffler on it and there was no change in it. so it might be a 1d or a 1c with a bigger exaust... i am not sure if any of you could clear that up it would be nice thanks :smile:

Desert Rat

PK,
It seems like you have a 1D turbo. I have one and LOVE it! I'm getting ready to post the muffler modification Ken and I did on 'Storm. If you have a very narrow turbo it's a 1C. A nice chubby one is a 1D. The difference is the blades in a 1C spin just beyond the speed of sound thus causing the "whistle" trying to move the volume of air to keep up with the air demands of the motor. The 1D turbo runs well below the speed of sound to do the same job.

painkiller

Yeah thats what i am thinking, at first i thought it wasn't spinning but up the hill i can just start to hear it scream, but seems that the 1d has more power then, most likely not much more but thanks alot guys for clearing that up for me :D

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My motor says it is a 86, 465-1D I think it whistles, but I don't have anything to compare it to. About 2300-2400 the sound goes very high pitched under full throttle. The C turbo must be VERY loud if this is what a D sounds like.

Last edited:

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Turn up the fuel and your 1D will whistle too! Ive had both motors and the 1D had almost 2 lbs more boost at the stock fuel setting. I'm now getting 20lbs of boost and it sounds sweet, especially with the K&N air filter.

painkiller

really... never knew that one thanks devin, it does make sence when you think about it i guess because the smaller turbo (C) is whistling to keep up with the amount of air it needs, add that k and n and turn up the fuel and i guess that would whistle because it has to keep up also. mind if i ask for the part number of that k&n filter :p also cheaper than getting another turbo for around 700 or so

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Its an E-1796, I had it on my powerstroke. I had to rig up a reducer because the filter clamp on part is 4" and the duece intake pipe is 3". I aslo totally removed the stock air cleaner canister. There might be a K&N filter that will fit inside the stock filter housing but I was just using what I already had. I found a perfect reducer at a hardware store, it was a tad too big but I trimmed it down and now its perfect. All the extra air that the filter lets in will help keep the egt's down. The max flow of the paper filter is 410cfm, the K&N filter flows over 1300 cfm. You'll be amazed at the power increase! Just be sure to install an egt guage before doing the above or you'll melt holes in the pistons if your not careful.

painkiller

yeah i will most likely do all this down the line, i have much more to do to the truck before i worry about power like tires for one :p but thanks for the info and i will eventually get around to cranking up the fuel a bit and trying to rig a k&n with the proper guages and such

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks