• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another WC63 found...

Gypsyman

My MIL is retired and moving from her property. In her back field there are numerous large trucks and wrecked vehicles. She called and said that I should come look around before the new owners take possession. A few years ago some kids snuck onto the property and smashed the glass out of every window on every vehicle but I figured it would be worth a look anyway. Lo and behold I found a rough WC63 tucked back into the trees. Obviously a lot of original parts are missing (windshield frame, seats, etc.) or have been replaced (winch, front bumper, front wheels, etc.) but it might still be worth saving. I don't need another project around here but I hate the thought of the new property owners calling the scrapper and seeing another piece of WWII history vanish.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My MIL is retired and moving from her property. In her back field there are numerous large trucks and wrecked vehicles. She called and said that I should come look around before the new owners take possession. A few years ago some kids snuck onto the property and smashed the glass out of every window on every vehicle but I figured it would be worth a look anyway. Lo and behold I found a rough WC63 tucked back into the trees. Obviously a lot of original parts are missing (windshield frame, seats, etc.) or have been replaced (winch, front bumper, front wheels, etc.) but it might still be worth saving. I don't need another project around here but I hate the thought of the new property owners calling the scrapper and seeing another piece of WWII history vanish.
Definitely a neat old truck... Would only take you about XX years to refurb it. Does seem like an awful thing to let go to scrap but I don't think you could give it to a museum. I guess that makes it a Project Truck!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's actually not that bad a shape, unless the frame is rusted too bad. A lot of good parts are there that are missing on other project WCs. I say save it, and if you don't want to take the project on, I'm sure someone here will appreciate the opportunity.

AZDeuce

Anybody notice that air cleaner on the passenger side cowl? I've seen that modification on WC63s used by the French Foreign Legion, but i thought those had been upgraded with diesel engines, but I don't know that as a fact.

Gypsyman

I was able to get her drug out this weekend and shovel all of the pine needles and dirt out of it. All tires turned so no locked up brakes or axles. I did find one more military rim and a Power Wagon rim in the trees behind it. I'll still be short one original rim. Two tires are down and rotten. Unfortunately the steering is frozen solid. Tires appear to be pointed straight. My concern is that unless we can line up perfectly on the trailer if it starts to drift sideways while winching it up there will be no way to correct it and no way to pull it backward to get it back off of the trailer.

Attachments

jasonjc

That looks great for being left out in the woods. As far as loading it it mite not be too hard to take a come-a-long on the side to pull it side ways if it starts to drift. but it looks pretty straight to me.

Gypsyman

The box is fairly beat up but the front sheet metal looks pretty good. I've only found one tiny spot of cancer at the bottom outside of the drivers side front tool box. The rest of the sheet metal (along with the frame) look to be rock solid. As far as the locked up steering I don't know what I'm up against there. I'm wondering if it's possible for rain water to have travelled down the steering column and slowly infiltrate the steering box. As near as I can tell it's been sitting out there for 10+ years.

I'm hoping I'll be able to drag it sideways if it drifts to the right while loading. Could get interesting.

bbradmv

My guess is that the steering my be frozen up near the steering wheel but who knows. My steering was about the same way yours sounds to be. I removed the screw in plug at the end of the drag link and lifted it out of the ball on the steering arm. The front wheels turned side to side then by just pushing on the side of the tires. If you can get to the filler plug on the steering box pour some diesel in it, it may loosen up some of the grease in the steering box. Just random things I have done in the past that seem to work.

bbradmv

I think you have a truck with great potential. The bed is in very good shape. The beds are the hardest item to find. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, my bed is going to take a ton of work but there are not many alternatives out there. Here's a few pictures. From acquisition to the frame paint 5 weeks. I'm retired and not much else to do but you get the picture.
DodgeWC63 017.JPGwc6361220 003.JPGWCframePaint 002.JPGWCframePaint 007.JPGWC63Primed 003.JPG

Gypsyman

Yours is coming along beautifully. Very nice work.

The lack of cancer once I cleaned it out gave me hope. My main concern right now is the lack of a windshield. I've started browsing around but no luck so far. I have a lot to learn about this old rig and what parts can be crossed to other models.

Richard

Gypsyman

A bit of a fiasco getting her on the trailer with both front tires down but she's home. I still need to locate a windshield and 1 or 2 of the military style rims but she's fairly complete. The box is pretty beat up and I'm terrible at metal work but I think it can be saved. Frame is virtually rust free and appears to have 98% of the original paint still intact. It's had a rough life but it's surprisingly solid.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks