• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another WC63 found...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty good, actually! The windshield will be the hard part to find, I looked around a bit for you but no dice. Try Midwest Military and Vintage Power Wagons for the missing parts, and they might be able to give you some leads on combat rims and the windshield.

mdainsd

Yep. Everything (just about) from the back of the seats forward interchanges with the other open 3/4 t WCs. wc-51, 52 windshield frames are the same. The command car win shied frame isn't right, but could be modified real easy, but doing that would be sacrilege! :oops:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And just like that, there's your windshield frame! Use the parts you need for your first one, taken from the 2nd. When your 1st one is all restored, part out the rest of the 2nd to others that need spare parts for theirs.

Unfortunately, such is the nature of a lot of hobbies involving old things - once the stashes of new or used spare parts run out, the only way you can keep things running is by sacrificing the lesser-condition ones to keep the better-condition ones working. Hopefully the technology of 3D metal fabrication will catch up to us soon, and we can fab whatever we need to easily, including new frames, engine blocks and axle assemblies.

Gypsyman

And just like that, there's your windshield frame! Use the parts you need for your first one, taken from the 2nd. When your 1st one is all restored, part out the rest of the 2nd to others that need spare parts for theirs.

Unfortunately, such is the nature of a lot of hobbies involving old things - once the stashes of new or used spare parts run out, the only way you can keep things running is by sacrificing the lesser-condition ones to keep the better-condition ones working. Hopefully the technology of 3D metal fabrication will catch up to us soon, and we can fab whatever we need to easily, including new frames, engine blocks and axle assemblies.
Looking at some pictures of the windshield frames they don't look that complicated. I'll look at the parts truck when it gets here and see what's involved with fabricating them.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're lucky you live in the Pacific NW - after WWII a PILE of surplus equipment and trucks ended up in your corner of the US to work the rest of their lives in the logging industry. Even with all the rain (and subsequently, rust) that you get, there are still a lot more WWII rigs in your area than there are in many other parts of the US.

Downside to that is a lot of them have been hacked up and bubba'ed over the years to serve in their new roles. So while it's easy to find them for your area, you might have more work to do to bring them back to original condition.

That WC-63 / M-37 amalgamation is pretty cool! I like it, might be a 2nd project to tackle once the 1st is done...

Gypsyman

I'm actually surprised by the number or trucks I've run across since I found the first one just 30 days ago. Today I was surfing and ran across a fellow with a '68 Power Wagon who has 6 of the combat wheels (extra). Unfortunately he won't part with the wheels. He'll only sell them with the truck which is overpriced for the condition.

I can't seem to find any past sales of the combat wheels to gauge value. Any thoughts on the matter?

Richard

Last edited:

Gypsyman

Pretty good day pickin' parts. Came away with 12 more serviceable combat wheels, WC-62 cowl with steering column to strip for parts (data plate with s/n intact), and a complete WC front end with radiator and hood. He was so happy to have the parts gone that he threw in a NOS clutch/pressure plate/flywheel set and a poorly stored but NOS Zenith Model 29 carb.

Attachments

Last edited:

JD4044M

That is in great shape and worthDSCF3315 (640x478).jpgPower Wagon2 (640x356) (640x356).jpgPower Wagon (640x332).jpg a lot of money in parts! My 48 Power Wagon had a WC63 frame and drive axles from the cab back. I restored it myself. Completely went thru everything and it was pretty good inside. Your only missing the Windshield and seats to speak of and the body looks great. Finish it you will have a cool looking truck with a winch to! I sDodge (640x568).jpgold this one for $39,500.00 and bought a new John Deere 4044M Tractor. Took 1 1/2 years to do it and 1,200 hours! Youcan always Re/Power it like this one.WC1 (640x480).jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks