• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another wheel/tire mod 14r20

st1977

First off let me say, I dont have a deuce so I hope that wont deter anyone from helping if they can.

My project is a mud truck, with 2.5 axles, Will be strictly offroad and less than 15mph. I dont have much invested in it and want to keep it that way, but it will be a nice project when I am finished.

I have been reading about widening stock deuce wheels, all I have seen either use the split rim side or have alot of machining done. I dont have access to a lathe big enough to do alot of machining required to make bolt together wheels. I dont want to use the split rim side, for stump and rock puposes. I will bolt the wheel up to the axle and make a jig to hold the lathe bit.

First question,
It looks and measures as if I can take on wheel and cut about 3 inches off the big lip side and it should slide over the part of the wheel where the split ring mounts. I can true them up and weld them, but the question is, Can I machine one lip down to about 3/4 of an inch instead of the inch and a half? If I do that will I be able to mount/streatch a 14r20 over that lip? If I can get it over and aired up I would put wheel screws (old school bead locks) through the rim and into the tire to help hold it to the rim.

I have seen these tires mounted on store bought wheels for pickup trucks, so aparently they will streatch some. Just wondering if anyone has any expierence of has thought of doing this.

So, how much would have to be taken off of that big lip on stock deuce wheels to streatch a tire over it???? Also, If this will work, I will weld them air tight, so no tube is needed, and install a different valve stem.

Any help is appreciated.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not think that will work. They do not stretch. Civvy wheels have a smaller I.D portion in the middle of the wheel to allow the bead to slip over.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks