• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Answer to the age old question-m35a2

1944mb

Well, I'm definitely in the market for a full set of chains for my deuce. I don't have any intention of going somewhere, but we've had two feet of snow and now 40 mph wind. Does anyone know who sells military chains-both single 900-20 chains and tri-railer chains? I like being prepared and winter has a way of showing whose not prepared around here

Attachments

1944mb

Finally got around to updating the oil filters to jantonkas spin on oil filters.
Before the filters

https://youtube.com/6wk3MzX8QNk

After the filters

https://youtube.com/nEFJuNmLXbQ
I should add that to be fair, I started the truck Friday night, and ran it. Waited 24hrs and started it filming the initial clip on oil pressure. Then changed over. I started the truck with the new filters roughly 16 hrs after adding them to the truck. Quite the difference in the time it takes to build oil pressure

Last edited:

1944mb

Front Fuel Line repair under radiator

I temporarily spliced the under radiator core fuel line with 3/8" rubber house back during summer to get this truck home. I've driven and used this truck since then, and was a little disgusted with myself to see how much the fuel line had kinked when I was changing oil. So, I decided I better get this repaired before I starve something of fuel and ruin something. There are many avenues I could have used to repair it-I decided to repair it with the original material used by the military-1/2" o.d. copper. I cut, formed, swedged and brazed a new piece in there. Decided it would be best to make a little video to show how I did it. Good as new once I was gone. Now i don't need to be worried about have a fuel line re-kink as I'm driving!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qQJej1nNzw

rustystud

I temporarily spliced the under radiator core fuel line with 3/8" rubber house back during summer to get this truck home. I've driven and used this truck since then, and was a little disgusted with myself to see how much the fuel line had kinked when I was changing oil. So, I decided I better get this repaired before I starve something of fuel and ruin something. There are many avenues I could have used to repair it-I decided to repair it with the original material used by the military-1/2" o.d. copper. I cut, formed, swedged and brazed a new piece in there. Decided it would be best to make a little video to show how I did it. Good as new once I was gone. Now i don't need to be worried about have a fuel line re-kink as I'm driving!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qQJej1nNzw
Or you could have went with the stainless steel PTFE hose and never had to worry about the hose again period. I found the main problem with copper tube is it work hardens due to vibration. I don't know about your truck but mine likes to vibrate. That's one of the reasons the military put hose clamps all along the fuel line to keep it from vibrating so much.

1944mb

That would be another way to go to fix it and a good idea. I could've started totally from scratch and flared the ends, but the flares they had were in good shape. My flaring tool will make double flares but there are better tools out there for that. Certainly where it is brazed the copper is annealed and more brittle. However with as much copper is in the truck in various spots I'd be more concerned about that failing since its been on the truck longer. In the end I had the copper and sil-pos on hand and the copper was a scrap, so I had less then $10 in the repair. Probably what I would've been best off doing would've been to move this line in an obscure place where this wouldn't happen again. It is in a vulnerable spot, but this truck won't be abused as long as I own it, unless I'm in a situation where I must. Thanks for your thoughts on it!

rustystud

That would be another way to go to fix it and a good idea. I could've started totally from scratch and flared the ends, but the flares they had were in good shape. My flaring tool will make double flares but there are better tools out there for that. Certainly where it is brazed the copper is annealed and more brittle. However with as much copper is in the truck in various spots I'd be more concerned about that failing since its been on the truck longer. In the end I had the copper and sil-pos on hand and the copper was a scrap, so I had less then $10 in the repair. Probably what I would've been best off doing would've been to move this line in an obscure place where this wouldn't happen again. It is in a vulnerable spot, but this truck won't be abused as long as I own it, unless I'm in a situation where I must. Thanks for your thoughts on it!
Yes the vulnerable spots ! That is what started me on replacing all the lines with stainless steel PTFE hoses. I replaced the one that goes under the radiator first. Then since that went so will I replaced the one that went to the filters then it just kept going until they all where replaced ! It would have been much easier if I had just ripped out all the old lines at once, but at least it is done now. Of course then I went and added a second fuel tank and had to replace a bunch more lines. I was able to reuse some of the hoses but I wasted a lot too. Should have had a "master plan" and worked toward it. Would have saved me several hundreds of dollars in wasted material. Live and learn. The problem is I have lived a lot and I'm still learning !

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks