• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

antenna bracket removal

2deuce

My search says the antenna bracket is held on by riv nuts. Three of the 4 bolts have spinning riv nuts. I'm not familiar with these fasteners. Can anyone give me some ideas/tips on how to remove the spinning bolts so I can remove the bracket?

Thanks

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try to force a prybar or screwdriver between the bracket and panel to keep the rivnut from spinning as you turn the screw, but your best bet is to use a grinder.

cpf240

I have not done this yet, but my plan is to grind off the head of the spinning bolt, and then grind off the shoulder of the riv nut, then push it through the hole. Once cleaned up, new riv nuts will go in.

eagle4g63

pic one is a rivnut, pic two is a rivnut on drugs LOL......rather a rivnut installed.

A very cool little thing, the ridges are suppose to bite into the steel hole it is put through, however like you noticed some times they get loose and spin. Like said either grind off the bolt head then remove part and grind rivnut shoulder(cause it is no good anyway) and replace, or you can maybe get it from the back side if you can see it(not sure on the cucv if you can see them from the inside and try to hold the inner shoulder.

PS you will need a rivnut tool to reinstall a new nut....just like a rivet gun only for rivnuts.

Attachments

llong66

2duce, if your taking off the antennamount/brush guard and dont want them, Id be interested if they are the style I need. PM if interested

rbeasley66

You can just touch the back side of the nuts from under your CUCV, you may be able to lock a Vice-grip onto it while someone turns the bolt from the outside. I've got three that way I have to deal with also. That will be my first try to get them out.

mistaken1

Anything to stop them from spinning. Reaching the from underneath to hold with pliers. Wedging something on the outside. Perhaps you can tighten them so they pull down against the body and then be able to get them out.

2deuce

Prying against the head of the riv nut was the ticket. I had one of the three that would remove so I concentrated on the one next to it, then used the bracket itself for leverage on the top 2. One funny thing is when the bracket was installed a piece of gravel was caught between the bracket and the truck, painted and all. It deformed the area around the riv nut when the bracket was tightened down and when removed gave room for a pry point against the riv nut. Thanks guys for all the advice.

Greg

ssdvc

I tack welded all of mine. Quick, simple and clean. Won't spin no more !!!!!:doghead:

135gmc

Rivnuts come in two varieties - ribbed and plain. Since the plain are the cheapest, they are the ones most often seen on MIL equipment. If you ever use any, there is a fine line between too loose, and too tight. If they are over tightened during installation, they can deflect to the point that the installation tool's mandrel can be hard to remove. The smart way is to set up the tool on a chunk of scrap that's the same thinkness as the installation will see. It's also possible that the rivnuts you ran into may be aluminum, since they are very common in aircraft, and the installer may have borrowed a few from the USAF. Many installers dip the rivnuts into a sealant before they install them, and that also helps prevent them from spinning. Regardless, if you ever install a bolt into a rivnut, lube the threads with anti-sieze, grease, oil, car wax -- whatever you have. Whom ever removes the nut will thank you.

quickfarms

Ive used the pressure method with prybar and cutting off the heads also. Which ever works! I got new rivnuts from grainger, box of 20 for 10 bucks. I used a bolt with two nuts to install. its easy!
This works for installing them if you do not have the tool. It is slower but if you only have a few to do it is hard to justify the tool

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks