• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna Mount

pbrstreetgang

Has anyone moved their antenna bracket from mid body to the rear and if so, How do you mount it?

My first idea is to drill all the way through the body into the interior and use big washers.

ONTOS66

I have a 1984 M1009 that originally had two antenna mounts at the rear, Phase I. Then about 1986 some brainiac decided to mount them in the center of the body, Phase II. So I also have holes at that point.

I intend to put 4 antenna mounts on the vehicle, but first have to get the mollies to stop spinning so I can remove the bolts. Naturally ALL of the antenna mounts had been removed when I got it.

For you situation, I offer the attached instruction for a Phase I antenna mount. This is the instruction sheet that comes with the mounting kit. You'll notice the backing plates in the illustration. But I don't think they are using the molly bolt system with this installation, at least what I can see from the drawing.

Attachments

Crash_AF

I have a 1984 M1009 that originally had two antenna mounts at the rear, Phase I. Then about 1986 some brainiac decided to mount them in the center of the body, Phase II. So I also have holes at that point.

I intend to put 4 antenna mounts on the vehicle, but first have to get the mollies to stop spinning so I can remove the bolts. Naturally ALL of the antenna mounts had been removed when I got it.

For you situation, I offer the attached instruction for a Phase I antenna mount. This is the instruction sheet that comes with the mounting kit. You'll notice the backing plates in the illustration. But I don't think they are using the molly bolt system with this installation, at least what I can see from the drawing.
Can you post a higher resolution version of that file? It's too small for me to read and doesn't zoom well.

Thanks,
Joe

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I intend to put 4 antenna mounts on the vehicle, but first have to get the mollies to stop spinning so I can remove the bolts.
Preston, I have had pretty good luck reaching up inside the body from below with a long pair of channel lock pliers and holding the nut-serts (read- evil creations of the devil..) while turning the bolts. Helps if you find someone fairly skinny to do it, big lads aren't getting a hand up in there!

Cheers and Semper Fi

ONTOS66

See if this illustration works any better.

Also, TB 11-2300-480-12 and TB 11-5820-890-20-77 show more detail of the antenna mounting procedure .. although these TBs deal with installing SINCGARS radios in the CUCVs. They should be available for download from references or LOGSA. If not, I have both available in .pdf.

Attachments

lindyp38

so mounts equal attenaes...?......im getting a pick up truck......where would the radio have gone..and what did this radio look like...?

thanks....

OL AG '89

Why are you moving mounts from mid to rear of vehicle?... just curious
The midmounts have less of a chance of getting *WHACKED* while winding through the trees.... IMHO
although they might not look as "cool" as the twin antennas hanging off the rear, they are just as "functional"

OL AG '89

Hey lindy, If the truck had a radio by chance, slim to none, it would of been installed in a radio rack in the bed. It could of been any number of models...
Would of had a control box in the cab, to select between radios and hook mics and auxillary speaker to.
Most M1008's didn't get adios as tey were used in motor pool. If we needed a radio, typically took a squad radio with us just sitting on the seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks