• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antenna ?

nspctr1

This may sound like a dumb ? but , with the cost of antenna's these days, how are you securing them to your rigs to prevent them from being stolen? I realize that just removing them solves the problem and I'm OK with that but was wondering if there was another option?

Thx

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't leave it parked in high crime areas. I don't believe any military collectors would stoop that low to steel parts off your tuck. Actually, I can't think why anyone would steel an antenna unless its just kids messing around.

donkren

I had the same thought regarding x-doors. They are getting pricey. But that is why I have insurance. I'm not going to let that worry keep me from enjoying my truck. And I have not met anyone related to the hobby that I felt would steal from me. That said, I remind myself now and then - not to tempt people beyond their ability to resist....especially kids.

suzukovich

I you use safety wire threaded thru the holes in the antenna base and antennas they will not go any where.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same thought regarding x-doors. They are getting pricey. But that is why I have insurance. I'm not going to let that worry keep me from enjoying my truck. And I have not met anyone related to the hobby that I felt would steal from me. That said, I remind myself now and then - not to tempt people beyond their ability to resist....especially kids.
Eberhard makes the X door handles with locks. Just need paint. Part numbers are posted in a hmmwv thread recently.

ari

I try not to stray far and I park the best I can to keep a clear line of fire between the truck and where I'm going. I avoid stopping in questionable areas to many a$$ clowns now days

ari

Common sense would also say if someone drives around in a Humvee they also fancy firearms. I think that's why we don't hear much abt people's rigs getting messed with or stolen.

911joeblow

Common sense would also say if someone drives around in a Humvee they also fancy firearms. I think that's why we don't hear much abt people's rigs getting messed with or stolen.
A nice bumper sticker would say 'No gun in the rack means I have it with me, wanna tempt fate?'

Wire Fox

Oh hey, I should actually answer the OP's question... so the antenna cost is all over the place, depending on antenna style. You can get an AS-3900 whip antenna system for around $150 a side, less if you find a good deal. That's the mounting bracket, spring base, and both sections of the whip. You can get the VRC-12-era antenna systems for a little less. All of these are going to have the same theft worries with the whip antenna just being able to be unscrewed (well, you could just always have a transmitter going to keep the antenna energized to be a shock hazard...).

Another thing that exists is the COM231 antenna, seen here: https://www.cobham.com/media/99324/COM231 Final.pdf This antenna is a hollow mast, with the spring base permanently affixed. It's pretty unlikely that someone is going to go up with tools and unbolt your antenna mast. I know I saw beltfeld34 have one of these listed for sale, but I think he did want a bit too much for it. I personally paid less than $40 for mine in far better condition (and came with the tripod assembly from an AT-1011), but mine was an exceptional deal that probably won't be seen again. $150-180 is probably a fair offer for one of these, as they're rather rare, but do nothing more than an AS-3900. The COM231 was more of a prototype for later multi-band antennas with the same physical profile, which would be worth a lot more.

riderdan

Mine are safety wired together (though I live in a small, relatively crime-free town). If you wrap the wire tight and don't leave a long tail, you'd need pliers to get the whips off the bases.

I also agree that HMMWV owners are likely veterans and/or gun owners and unlikely to take crap off anyone. So nitwits are going to think twice about messing with the truck in the Wallyworld parking lot in case me, my CCW, and John Browning happen to come out of the store while they're at it.

suzukovich

Oh hey, I should actually answer the OP's question... so the antenna cost is all over the place, depending on antenna style. You can get an AS-3900 whip antenna system for around $150 a side, less if you find a good deal. That's the mounting bracket, spring base, and both sections of the whip. You can get the VRC-12-era antenna systems for a little less. All of these are going to have the same theft worries with the whip antenna just being able to be unscrewed (well, you could just always have a transmitter going to keep the antenna energized to be a shock hazard...).

Another thing that exists is the COM231 antenna, seen here: https://www.cobham.com/media/99324/COM231 Final.pdf This antenna is a hollow mast, with the spring base permanently affixed. It's pretty unlikely that someone is going to go up with tools and unbolt your antenna mast. I know I saw beltfeld34 have one of these listed for sale, but I think he did want a bit too much for it. I personally paid less than $40 for mine in far better condition (and came with the tripod assembly from an AT-1011), but mine was an exceptional deal that probably won't be seen again. $150-180 is probably a fair offer for one of these, as they're rather rare, but do nothing more than an AS-3900. The COM231 was more of a prototype for later multi-band antennas with the same physical profile, which would be worth a lot more.
I guess it depends on your taste. That antenna was part of the dukes for jamming VBIDS an IEDS in Iraq and Afghanistan. It would look out of place on anything other then Uparmored or ECV look-a-like..

Wire Fox

I guess it depends on your taste. That antenna was part of the dukes for jamming VBIDS an IEDS in Iraq and Afghanistan. It would look out of place on anything other then Uparmored or ECV look-a-like..

The COM231 is not the Duke system antenna. The Duke antenna is extremely broadband, allowing for transmission on an extremely wide frequency range. The COM231 is the comparatively boring 30-88 MHz, lossy antenna (-1 dBi gain, typical); however, it is still better than the -7 - -1 dBi range of the AS-3900 whip antenna, plus it can handle 200W of continuous power instead of 150W. You can still reduce the profile of an AS-3900 much easier, though, so I'd still prefer a flexible whip if I needed to roll through the woods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks