• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti-freeze tire balancing ?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's also such things as waterless, lifetime antifreeze:

It can't cause corrosion because it contains no water......

Jay Leno uses the stuff. I'm considering it for my LMTV actually. The boiling point is so high you can pull the radiator cap at full operating temp and it just gives a light pop like a can of soda (unshaken). Very low system pressure also means small leaks just dribble instead of pissing out at high velocity. Which makes field repairs easier, and slight leaks don't cause overheating and you have a much better chance to get back to civilization before you lose a large quantity of the stuff.

Drawback is absolutely horrendous cost and availability is extremely difficult if you aren't near Summit Racing or an Amazon warehouse.

Last edited:

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's also such things as waterless, lifetime antifreeze:

It can't cause corrosion because it contains no water......

Jay Leno uses the stuff. I'm considering it for my LMTV actually. The boiling point is so high you can pull the radiator cap at full operating temp and it just gives a light pop like a can of soda (unshaken). Very low system pressure also means small leaks just dribble instead of pissing out at high velocity. Which makes field repairs easier, and slight leaks don't cause overheating and you have a much better chance to get back to civilization before you lose a large quantity of the stuff.

Drawback is absolutely horrendous cost and availability is extremely difficult if you aren't near Summit Racing or an Amazon warehouse.

well.. from first hand experience running Superbikes (Suzuki and Aprilia)all over the S/E in CCS and WERA for 20 years.... tech regs stated no antifreeze (takes to long to dry when spilled) we all ran Water Wetter or Evans... made absolutely zero difference in engine/coolant temperatures.... snake oil for sure..

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never used them but they would certainly be preferred over antifreeze in my book. Of course, they are a bit harder to install.

The thing that's always scared me off balance beads is that they turn to goo (melt) when coming in contact with any grease or oils. In theory there's shouldn't really be any in a close air system, but on a few occasions I've bled my air tanks and thought "is that a residue" when I rub my finger and thumb together.

My pre-runner and sand car both run Kubota Premium Tire Sealant. I love it because it's water soluble and you just hose it out when you tear down a tire. I run that stuff in everything (to include the pneumatic tires on my shop dolly). It's not really a balance product (and I'd certainly not run it in a CTIS environment) but I only mention this to show I'm not opposed to the idea of running crap in tires. Just not my CTIS system....
I used the ceramic beads in my tires...do they melt or are you talking about another type of bead material?

Had to put new tire on my truck. So while the wheels and tires were a part I just added the ceramic beads to keep the tires balanced. When I put the wheels and tires back together I put the beads in the tire, installed the beadlocks with the beadlock bolts and bracket (mending plate) were 180 degrees out from the CTIS valve assembly. Also, I had the drive shafts rebuilt and balanced. Truck runs very nice and smooth at 55 mph.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJDSZH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Third From Texas

I used the ceramic beads in my tires...do they melt or are you talking about another type of bead material?

Had to put new tire on my truck. So while the wheels and tires were a part I just added the ceramic beads to keep the tires balanced. When I put the wheels and tires back together I put the beads in the tire, installed the beadlocks with the beadlock bolts and bracket (mending plate) were 180 degrees out from the CTIS valve assembly. Also, I had the drive shafts rebuilt and balanced. Truck runs very nice smooth at 55 mph.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EJDSZH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ah, yeah. My bad. I was thinking of the airsoft pellets that people are always recommending for balance.

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Had to put new tire on my truck. So while the wheels and tires were a part I just added the ceramic beads to keep the tires balanced. When I put the wheels and tires back together I put the beads in the tire, installed the beadlocks with the beadlock bolts and bracket (mending plate) were 180 degrees out from the CTIS valve assembly. Also, I had the drive shafts rebuilt and balanced. Truck runs very nice and smooth at 55 mph.

this is what I used...17lbs will probably last a lifetimeScreenshot_20221016-185307_Amazon Shopping.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well.. from first hand experience running Superbikes (Suzuki and Aprilia)all over the S/E in CCS and WERA for 20 years.... tech regs stated no antifreeze (takes to long to dry when spilled) we all ran Water Wetter or Evans... made absolutely zero difference in engine/coolant temperatures.... snake oil for sure..
Not interested in lowering the coolant temp. The benefit is longevity, corrosion resistance, and lack of system pressure due to high boiling point.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on a new vehicle it's understandable... a 30 year old army truck.... not so much..imho
In my case it's not so clear cut. My truck is 14 years old and has under 10k miles on it. Much less than 30 and very low mileage.

Again the benefits to the end user depend on the intended use. Personally I like the idea of a low pressure system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks