• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti-theft measures?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem with the key fob and keyed run/start switch is it only takes a few seconds to reach under the dash and defeat them both. Any other hidden cut off switch adds more security. I've been contemplating a cut off switch as well but haven't found one I want to use yet.
The Black Dog was perfect for me. It is the perfect length and has the oem connectors with a rubber grommet on it for when it goes thru the body and the wires are covered in the loom crinkle stuff with shrink tube ends and a small quality switch, zip ties, cushion clamps and instructions! Price of entry 69.00? I’m very happy with it and I got the reverse light switch and harness

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend almost had his 69 ford 4wd stolen but he walked up on them and they ran. We were in the shop early one morning and I looked at what he was building and he had a cage of razor blades built to go around the back of the ignition switch and it worked because he found blood on his floorboard… hahaha crazy Larry was one in a million and he had the best real stories I have ever heard.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend almost had his 69 ford 4wd stolen but he walked up on them and they ran. We were in the shop early one morning and I looked at what he was building and he had a cage of razor blades built to go around the back of the ignition switch and it worked because he found blood on his floorboard… hahaha crazy Larry was one in a million and he had the best real stories I have ever heard.
So now he has A.I.D.S. blood all over and he is liable for "reckless endangerment" because some liberal DA will sue him and not the perps.

dhaumann69166

Hello all -- I won the M1165a1 below at GP this week and am taking the opportunity before it arrives to pick up some parts. From the various forums and FB groups, it appears that there is a lot of junk out there, and so I was hoping to hear what parts/companies this group has had good experience with in terms of locking door handles, keyed ignition (or keyed switch attached to the starter switch in lieu of a keyed ignition), and anything else I should be thinking about. I did find an anti-theft thread on this forum from a while back, but it dealt with long-term measures while the owner was deployed. My truck will be garaged for the most part, so I'm really thinking along the lines of securing it when it's in a parking lot while I'm inside a store. Many thanks in advance.

View attachment 815991
I have an EXTREMELY effective anti theft system in my Humvee for those times I am going in a store or going to a restaurant. I just leave my Belgian Malinois in the Humvee and NOBODY is touching it. She was only 6 months in this picture so double the size now. Not mean but definitely protective of her vehicle.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an EXTREMELY effective anti theft system in my Humvee for those times I am going in a store or going to a restaurant. I just leave my Belgian Malinois in the Humvee and NOBODY is touching it. She was only 6 months in this picture so double the size now. Not mean but definitely protective of her vehicle.
A piece of hamburger or steak and I'd be in your truck driving with my new pet.

dhaumann69166

A piece of hamburger or steak and I'd be in your truck driving with my new pet.
Lol not my dogs! They are trained to only take food from me. I have won a lot of money on bets from people trying to prove me wrong on that. We use both cooked and uncooked steak, burger and venison for training. We will leave them for up to 6 hours in a house or vehicle alone with no food other than the steak/burger/whatever and they don’t touch it! In a house they have done 12 hours no issues. Their entire focus is on taking care of their person and their property. Don’t want a bad guy tossing your dog a steak and running off with your kid.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
"Doggy"

Come a little closer... AND I BITE YOU !!

WOOF, CAMO

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
This is an option that some M151 guys use. The design would have to be modified for Humvee use. While this isn't "city" proof, it's a nice option when going into a store or restaurant when in use with the steering wheel cable lock. Guess it depends on your needs for security as to what is sufficient.

127114.jpeg127115.jpeg127116.jpeg

Guy

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
$350 is something I will have to plan for... But it is exactly what I want.
So... I have a question. How $350? I found the lock pictured in this thread for $25 on ePay. Even without the padlock and adding shipping you should easily come in at well under a hundred bucks.

Did I miss something?

And this particular lock appears that it could be used on a M936 for example...

SwitchLock.jpg

Feedback... All positive and reasonable and believable statements.

Ghostvet

So... I have a question. How $350? I found the lock pictured in this thread for $25 on ePay. Even without the padlock and adding shipping you should easily come in at well under a hundred bucks.

Did I miss something?

View attachment 861698

"The Black Dog was perfect for me".. I was referring to the black dog

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
"The Black Dog was perfect for me".. I was referring to the black dog
Ahhh... Sorry. Yeah, that is definitely a first class way to go. The little metal box is good too, but not as cool as the key fob.

springer1981

Did I miss something?

View attachment 861698

That little aluminum rivet sure looks secure. LOL

Action

I would invest in something to stop people from reaching up to the back of the switch...
kind of like putting a locking door over the fuel filler. 6 little screws and someone can steel your locking cover.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You and @Action are both right. Yeah. The rivet isn't much but like a lot of other things - all it really does is keep honest people honest. And with a switch on a military dash - yanking out two wires and touching them together is like the locking gas cap.

Only concern that I have about fancy electrical additions are - it's one more piece to fail when compared to the plain mechanical switch and/or push button.

A claymore is a little more durable

1647485202103.png

Last edited:

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
As stated in the original post, depending on your situation, this can be an option as a deterrent. On a 151, that little rivet can prevent your coil from getting fried when little Skippy turns your ignition on because his parents didn't teach him not to mess with other people's property. Also as stated, this would have to be modified for Humvee use.

Guy

springer1981

As stated in the original post, depending on your situation, this can be an option as a deterrent. On a 151, that little rivet can prevent your coil from getting fried when little Skippy turns your ignition on because his parents didn't teach him not to mess with other people's property. Also as stated, this would have to be modified for Humvee use.

Guy
I wasn't picking on your post, just the item. I completely understand what you posted. Thanks, sorry for any confusion.

On my truck I am working on rear steering and figure when I park it I can just turn the rear wheels and that will defeat anyone who thinks they can steal it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks