• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Advice from you Legends!

Olmos

I got my 1009 about 4 years ago. After 6 months, I decided to travel overseas and had to leave it parked for 3 years. Before I left, I filled up the diesel to full and asked my family to start it once in a while to keep it running strong. In the first week, one of the batteries died and my father left it there sitting and it has sat ever since.

I was wondering about the fuel, is it still good?

Also..... I can't figure out what could have happened, but my father tried to jump one of the batteries and failed, then there came some smoke......I think a fused wire burned up, but I can't find it....Where should I be looking cause I can't find anything burnt up.

Is there anything else I should check or replace before trying to start up this beast. Thx for the advice, still quite a novice here :)
10920941_10155106070620212_3938902283365556856_n.jpg

Drock

Well I'd start by load testing both batteries, or simply replacing them. Then I'd drain the fuel, change the fuel filter, before trying to start it. Maybe pull the glow plugs, unplug the pink wire, and turn the motor over to make sure the cylinders are clear, and to try and flush any old fuel/water out. 2cents

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add a can of seafoam to help with any water in fuel issue.
Physically pull on each fuse link. They can look good on the outside but be fried inside.
Charge and load test the battery’s. Replace if in dought.
Follow Other recommendations mentioned.
Hopefully the wiring isn’t too badly hurt.
A Digital multimeter for testing will definitely help.

fitz

While draining the fuel is probably the right thing to do, I gotta admit I've bought a few CUCV's that have sat for 5+ years and they fired right up with fresh batteries.

snowtrac nome

Don't waste time trying to drain fuel, I have dealt with lots of equipment that has sat for extended periods of time they run just fine off old diesel. Do treat it with a good bioside ,and plan to change a few sets of filters as the old dead bugs get caught, after the first few tanks the bugs wont even be a problem. do just go get new battery's, if they sat dead that long the plates will be sulfated. Weak battery's are a good recipe for killing a good starter.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While draining the fuel is probably the right thing to do, I gotta admit I've bought a few CUCV's that have sat for 5+ years and they fired right up with fresh batteries.
Agree and forgot to mention it.

Mine sat for 6+ years and was almost full of fuel.
No algae and a bit of water.

Truck started and ran great on it.
Filter and seafoam dealt with water til gone.

usabamaman

Don't waste time trying to drain fuel, I have dealt with lots of equipment that has sat for extended periods of time they run just fine off old diesel. Do treat it with a good bioside ,and plan to change a few sets of filters as the old dead bugs get caught, after the first few tanks the bugs wont even be a problem. do just go get new battery's, if they sat dead that long the plates will be sulfated. Weak battery's are a good recipe for killing a good starter.
Check out the batteries at your closest Caterpiilar dealer. I found that they have the best built batteries for holding up to vibration and the best warranty I could find.

Attachments

Last edited: