• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any body use 5 tons commercially

fccattleco

I am new to this site and you guys are great!
I have a couple questions:

1. Does any one here use their 5 ton for
Commercial work, dump truck, tractor hauling
Rock or timber?
2. What models are better setup for civilian work?
3. What dealers sell the better mvs?

I am thinking of buying either a dump or tractor, pretty good amount of need for that where I live.
I love the 5 tons so I kill two birds with one stone
I get a 5 ton and make money, the profit margin would be great cuase I wouldn't have a truck payment!

Thanks
Fc cattle co.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

supermechanic

Unless you really need to get that far off road, a civilian model will work better for most commercial undertakings.
I used my M51 for stone, rock & dirt hauling for two years before I got a commercial dump truck.
The military makes these trucks with minimal personal comfort in mind, this means you will be sore , deaf, to hot,(or to cold) and just generally beat-up if you use this on a day- to- day, week-in, week-out basis.
I still use my MV for snow plowing and for firewood,( I take this truck deep into the woods) nothing seems to stop an all wheel drive (especially with tire chains).
MV's are a cool toy, if you can make some money with them, so much the better.

Westech

CPL

stumpjumper83

I have a m51a2 dump that I use in the excavating biz. It is as heavy as a tandem dump truck, but the box is 4' shorter can a commercial and the motor lacks 100 - 200 hp against a standard tandem or trike.

They do go better off road though, and some have a built in winch, though its hard to winch with only one person.

The bed does raise nice and steep for handling mud and such.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you just going short distances and hauling wood, rock, gravel or dirt a 5 ton might make you some money.

The deal breaker on the 800 series trucks is the 250 Cummins engine......parts are hard to get since it is (according to the Cummins dealers I dealt with) an obsolete engine. It is also very underpowered when the truck is heavily loaded.

I don't know about FL but in AL you would need a DOT number, a Commercial Drivers License and commercial insurance unless you try to fly under the radar.

I had a lot of issues with the engine in my 816 wrecker.

One big issue was finding an old school diesel mechanic that can work on one....the one guy that was a top notch Cummins mech passed away before he could get around to working on mine.

Hope this helps.

ranchhopper

I helped a friend put a deuce cargo bed on an 818 he had it shipped to his farm in panama he hauls produce down out of the mountains and jungle to the city and hauls supplies back to the farmers on the rewind. He started a business doing this now he has three deuces and a five ton doing this he just moved back there after being here twenty five years now he has several coffee farms and the trucking buusiness to keep him occupied.

fccattleco

You guys are Great! I am going to buy duece with a dump bed
I can use that immediately in my current biz for hualing debri
From jobsites , I needed a dump trailer but this would be way cooler
And I can let the local schools use it for parades.
I really want a 818 tractor just can't justify it with out making money
Or have some kinda use for it, maybe when my cattle operation reaches
A couple hundred steers then I could use it to haul them!!!

Fc cattle co

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not commercial since it's for my use, but I use one of my M818s and the worst condition M871 trailer I have for hauling 10 round bales of hay every two weeks on a 44 mi round trip. The truck and trailer combined cost a couple of thousand less than just a new gooseneck flatbed trailer. Saved me a ton of money.

Attachments

deuceman51

I'm currently working on an M813 that was converted into a digger truck for a powerline construction buisness. They put 16.00x20s on it and a digger body. I am fixing some things and also completely servicing it for them. Once that's done, they want me to build a custom M35A2 with diff locks, air assist steering, winch, and a bunch of other goodies. We are going to put 395s on it and they will be using it for a cable reel truck. Military 6x6s are much cheaper than civi ones and that is why this company has had me already build one other truck for them. Since they are usually in heavy mud and in low range, they work perfect, on road speed leaves something to be desired though.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Pics of my son using my M818 helping move bales for our friends and farmer across the street. This 38 year old dog could still hunt and outpull due to the sprag kicking in when needed.

Attachments

originalstarhauler

A 5 Ton can be used commercially but its limitations and strengths must be used to succeed. In a construction area THAT IS MUD PRONE a M-817 will outperform any regular dump truck. A argument that can be used is a M-817 can be driven to a construction area where as off road dumps such as Volvos must be hauled in by semi. A cost savings. Loads of course a Volvo off road is rated much higher, does it really haul the max? With side boards a 5 Ton increases its cubic load area and it takes side boards to get 10 ton of gravel on it. Big stone BIG of course the Volvo can haul much better but the question is weight to volume if its say dry dirt the Volvo bed by cubic load size is not that much larger, but weight would not be such a factor. So the question is does a construction site need a $200,000 off road dump truck or would the 5 Ton be far cheaper to operate? Another plus is you stick that Volvo you best have a dozer on hand where a 5 Ton if need be with a winch can pull its self out. A cool plus? I never saw a Volvo convertible with it's windshield down and top off. A 5 Ton topless is a real hoot.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Check with your state to see if you will need a CDL and dot inspections.

If you are off road most of the time if would probably be viable. If you are in road a lot then a civilian truck would be a lot better. Another thing to think about is if you only are using the truck daily.

originalstarhauler

I have a Class A CDL . In most cases a Class "A" CDL is a norm in construction, there are a lot of "Bs" out their but the "A" you can do it all. Anymore DOT is on top of anything just about. I forgot to mention another use for a 5 Ton with the dump bed and a bit of farm "CAN DO" puttinmg a auger on the tail gate along with a gen set trailer and poly tank you have one nice fertilizer and chem hauler and faster and cheaper than that $85,000 JD. Buy the way farm use is a whole different story when it comes to license plates and drivers license, check your state laws.
If you desire a "Class "B" some school districts will train you free as a bus driver for them. As most school buses have air brakes the air brake endorsment goes with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks