• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any difference in "early" 5 ton axle-side steering arms?

Trango

Hi Gang,

Synopsis:

Did the early M39 / M809 series trucks ever see any difference in steering arms on the axle? Meaning, was there ever a shorter or longer example?

Details:

My 5 ton-based project is continuing, slowly. I'm now looking at an interference issue between the steering arm on the axle and the U-bolts on the front driver's side leaf spring. Bottom line - my leafs are slightly outboarded from frame width and this is causing interference at the with the swing of the steering arm (as it bolts on top of the Kingpin).

I could cut, section, and reweld the arm I have (yes, I am familiar with this as well as the caveats), but I am wondering if there is perhaps a model that is just shorter than what I need.

The arm I have is 9.5" from top Kingpin center to middle of Tie Rod End.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Best,
Bob

OSO

On my M328 Bridge support truck the pitman arm is over 9.5" , the arm starts out I think past c/l of left wheel . I will measure it on Wed. Will post legnth.[thumbzup]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
use a m54 (early 5t) steering, it does NOT have the RIGHT steering arm or hydraulic cylinder , the 809 5t series has different steering with a hydraulic cylinder.

By the way, Im looking for a 5t front spring perch and a RIGHT steering arm

Last edited:

Trango

On my M328 Bridge support truck the pitman arm is over 9.5" , the arm starts out I think past c/l of left wheel . I will measure it on Wed. Will post legnth.[thumbzup]
Thanks! Specifically looking for an arm that's *shorter* than 9.5" between centers of kinpin and Tie Rod End.

Best,
Bob

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BOB, the 9.5 RIGHT arm is ONLY used on the 809 series, the 54 series DID NOT have a RIGHT steering arm, same front axle only different steering actuation

USMC6062

If your looking for a shorter left steering arm, you can use a right steering arm that originally connected to the hydraulic cylinder on later M54's and 800 series 5 tons. That's what I did on my bobbed truck to correct the steering ratio to work with my shorter custom made pitman arm.