• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any experience towing 12 foot trailer with M1009?

Sverige

I'm considering adding a hitch to my M1009 for towing a 12 foot utility trailer with my compact utility tractor. Total weight (trailer and tractor) will not exceed 2,500 lbs.

I've read towing with the M1009 can be a problem due to the short wheel base, however, I'm hoping a 12 foot trailer and 2,500 lbs is within it's normal operating limits.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Barrman

A frame mounted receiver hitch and the weight you mention should work just fine. As long as you are not in a hurry and plan ahead for braking. Many people have done similar sized loads with no issue. However, if you plan to do it often. Add a transmission cooler to help the TH400 live long and happy.

kingchr

I would 2nd the frame mount hitch and tranny cooler. I would also add a trailer brake to the truck before I towed anything bigger than a baby utility trailer or bass boat. Do these things, and don't expect to fly up hills, and all should be good.

Good luck, if you do it let us know how it goes!

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS! My M1009 has a Class III hitch. I have a steel bed 18 ft double axle car hauler that I use to tow my M151A2 or my wife's M422. The maximum weight I've pulled is 5000 lbs and my M1009 maintained 55-60 MPH. The trailer has electric brakes and I have no problem stopping the truck even with that much weight. I slow way down when going up hills or overpasses though. I also have a 5x8 single axle enclosed cargo trailer that weighs 1000 lbs empty. My truck pulls that without a problem as well. Add a transmission cooler and a 3 core aluminum radiator and you'll be fine. :D

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1009 Towing

Here is a pic of my 1009 w/16 ft trailer and Kubota tractor. Putting on the hitch caused me to lose the skid plate and pintle, so keep that in mind also. I have also towed my son's AMC eagle on the same trailer/CUCV combo with no issues at all.

Attachments

wrex

I did it. Towed my Cadillac CTS about 600 miles when I picked up the CUCV. Used the bumper with a hitch. While I wouldn't recommend it, it can be doe. Just be very careful. It was "interesting" goinf down steep grades in Washington and California, but I took it slow and easy.

I don't think that was quite 12', but maybe it was close enough to answer your question.

Attachments

wilogger

I agree you should be fine, and like was mentioned the hills will slow you down, i had a jimmy with a 6.2 and when i pulled a trailer the hills were slow going.

DXTAC

I tow my 21 ft. camper about 3-4 times a year with mine and have never had a problem. Trans was rebuilt as a precaution, diff fluids changed and I haven't had any issues. I don't go over 60 at best but I'm never in a hurry with the camper on. I do have a fame mounted Hidden Hitch from JC Whitney and have never had an issue.

Good Luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks