• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any experience with Colorbond interior dye/paint?

ajsmith184

Ordered replacement door panels for my 09, going to try to save a little $ and use colorbond to paint the dash...Has anyone done this? When I get around to it Ill update this thread with pictures....Figure for $15 it's worth a shot, if it turns out bad Ill just get a dashpad:razz:

richingalveston

My gray dash turned out good with black color bond. use many light coats. it is not glossy and I was using black so the color came out very even, not sure what other colors will do.
If you take your dash out and the back side foam is in bad shape you can use some setting agent called 'GaurdZ' you can get it at home depot. It is used to glue loose sheetrock paper and small peices of sheetrock, It soaks in and then hardens. The gaurdz keeps all of the foam from turning to dust, works good at the speaker locations. I also used colorbond on my door panels and it looks ok, need to do some touch ups.

I don't use that brand, but I use sprayable vinyl/ leather/ carpet dye very day in my detailing shop with great results. Most new car leather is just surface dyed anyway which is a very similar process. I frequently respray leather steeing wheels, seats and door panels when they are permanently stained or worn. I usually only do spot repairs but I resprayed the entire front leather bench seat in a budget lot lesabre last week and it looked great.

Personally, I appreciate the worn, raggedy mismatched basic interior of these trucks and plan on keeping mine the way it is, but if I felt like making it newer looking I would not hesitate to spray it.

Last edited:

ajsmith184

Cool, thanks for the info. When I get it and get to it in a week or so Ill post before/during/after pics as well...What did you guys use for surface prep?

JGBallew

Used a similar product on a couple of my trucks, works fairly well.
You can't do radical color changes easily, if you have a black piece and paint it light tan, it will not quite match without numerous coats.

I used soap&water and denatured alcohol for surface prep. Be careful if you use MEK or acetone, you'll end up with bits of cloth stuck in the plastic, or melt the part entirely..
If the plastic is sun rotted, where it begins to flake or scale, the spray wont save it.

Light coats. let it dry forever, then apply again turned out the best finishes for me.

Lild

Cleaning well is the first step. Denatured alchol is good, since the dash pad is vynl useing some thinner will soften it up and the first coat will adhere to it nicely. Light coats is key.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks