• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any good hummer mechanics south of Atlanta GA?

Tank007

I have a 95 hummer sitting at a mechanic's shop in griffin ga that can't seem to get the body of the truck to pull the engine, is there anyone around there that knows what their doing when it comes to the hummer that can get the work done?

Tank007

The rear bolts won't come out, said he had 3/4 impact on it and they won't turn loose. He downstairs know enough about the trucks to try and cut them off and doesn't want to mess anything up. I'm thinking it's just better I bring it home to Texas to get it fixed.

zout

Call Michelle at P&D Enterprises right in Griffin - they are at 1521 Industrial Dr and their # is 770-228-6939.

They are a full body shop and they also repaint National Guard Units so they are FULLY familiar with them.
Tell em a Dave in Tucker Ga sent ya.

TedG

The rear body to frame mounting bolts are notorious for rusting together in one piece and you cannot get them easily. What I do is put a big open end wrench on the tub side nut and a 3/4" drive socket with big flex bar and force them to snap. Works every time for me on several hmmwvs. BTW, a tub does not have to be remove to pull engine...unless that is what you want to do. Good luck.

RDUKW

The body does not need to be removed to pull the motor. There is a lifting jig that bolts to the motor and is shaped to miss the body

Tank007

This truck has a cummins 3.9 4bt in it, and it looks pretty tight. The mechanic for whatever reason doesn't feel his guys have it in them to get it done, just doesn't want to be liable is what it sounds like to me or to take the time to get it done. I suggested pulling it thru the front removing the radiators and such but he declined. It has been sitting at his shop since Apr 2 and he just now told me after about his issue, granted it sat there till about last week before he even tried to remove it.

Tank007

Living in south Texas trying to fix my truck in Georgia is causing the majority of my problems. If I can find a good mechanic down here or along the way I don't mind moving it heh. The engine blew in the truck because, I'm guessing, the guy I bought the truck off of turned the fuel up too high and thst mountain in Tennessee finished it off.

TedG

You can install a 6BT from the front so I would guess you can install a 4BT from the front also. Pull cooling stack. Mark all wires and lines. Disconnect motor mounts from block and perhaps from frame. Remove all other items from engine and go. For extra working room, remove front tire, and front bumper.

I have pulled many military 6.2's with transmission and tcases attahced all at once from the front this way. Pulling a hmmwv tub is easing due to the lack of wires, but a civi could be trouble in the pinched wire department. Good luck.

3 easy steps! lol

Attachments

Last edited:

jwaller

Truck is over to sc and I'll fix it for ya. Better yet my pops lives in atl and can get it over here on his flatbed. I am a hmmwv owner and pretty good mechanic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks