• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Gun Trucks in Western U.S.?

Major Asstyrd

Any gun trucks in the Western U.S.? The MVCC hosts the largest annual MV event in the west, in the Delta area near Lodi, CA. In April 2012 we are featuring the "Concours d'Eleguns" display for MVs with mounted or towed ordnance. Obviously gun trucks of any kind will be a big hit. We'd like to see more than the typical jeep with MG. Having at least one Vietnam gun truck would be great. How do we go about finding owners within range of the AO?
To get a feel for the event, this April's meet is detailed here:
MVCC Camp Delta @ Tower Park

Another idea - does the gun truck hobby need a west coast national event? This might be a good venue. We do a similar but smaller event at the same KOA campground in late September if zero chance of rain is important.

historyfanatics

I am located in South East Texas. With luck, I might have my gun truck built by then. Many air defense crewmembers live out on the West Coast. I'd love to be able to take the truck out to them.

I can't promise you that I will make it, but I'll try.

One question: what are the laws in California about weapons on the vehicles? My gun truck will have four (4) .50 Caliber Machine Gun (simulators) mounted in back, plus other crew weapons.

Keep me on your list.

Thanks,

historyfanatics

I didn't realize Lodi was so far north in California! I'll admit I am not that familiar with California geography. :doh:

The only cost effective way for me to get my truck out there is by train. I'll look into that. But, as I am probably the closest, I will try. Just don't be surprised if I am unable to make it.

Also, what I have found out about Caliphornia gun laws is not encouraging to taking a gun truck there. Any comments?

5ton4ever

Wish I saw this post a month ago. As far as the m2 goes it is illegal for most civilians in Calif. to have one. A real one. No assault rifles, 10 round max. capacity for magazines. No auto. The replicas have to have the orange plug at the stupid end of the barrel. I have never had a problem driving with a replica ma-deuce on the gun ring. I don't do anything stupid while it's up there. Doesn't mean I won't run into some gung-ho guy that wants to make an issue of it.[thumbzup]

historyfanatics

Wish I saw this post a month ago. As far as the m2 goes it is illegal for most civilians in Calif. to have one. A real one. No assault rifles, 10 round max. capacity for magazines. No auto. The replicas have to have the orange plug at the stupid end of the barrel. I have never had a problem driving with a replica ma-deuce on the gun ring. I don't do anything stupid while it's up there. Doesn't mean I won't run into some gung-ho guy that wants to make an issue of it.[thumbzup]
Thanks for the info. And on that note, I'll have to bow out of attending in California. I'm not putting little orange plugs in the ends of my guns.

And, gun trucks tend to attract attention. Not that I do anything stupid - I just don't want any issues being made 1,000 miles from my home state.

historyfanatics

I have been reconsidering attending this event. But, it's close to 2,000 miles one way! That gets expensive in a hurry.

Let me see what I can come up with on getting The Widow Maker there. I can cover the guns and the mount.

The reason for my reconsideration - I saw the spread that SUPPLY LINE did on the meet. Interesting. And, I'd like to meet some of the folks out that way. Plus, the possibility of attending another event in Seattle not long after this one.

Major Asstyrd

Sorry you couldn't make it. That would have been quite an effort. We do get one guy who drives his CUCV out from Texas every year. Hardcore! I'm still looking for gun trucks in the West. You would think with all the deuces around someone would build one out here.

We don't have trouble with our MGs. Most owners cover them when driving on the street, except when in parades. There are exceptions to dummy gun rules if it involves displays, living history events, and similar. Also the law enforcement folks mostly like us.

Here is a photo from the Concours d'Eleguns we did at the Camp Delta meet at Tower Park Resort last April. This showcase was advertised in the hobby media including the national magazines, and we assume the Feds and State law enforcement folks were there. Don't know for sure. Every vehicle in this photo has a gun of some sort and no orange muzzles. I have never seen an orange muzzle or gun at any California MV meet, display, or parade since 1985 when I started in the hobby.

Here is a MV display at a fancy car show where they always have an unrelated support display. We were it in 2012. We had three halftracks, an M20, a Sherman, some jeeps, and a German motorcycle, all with MGs. And a Nike Hercules missile. This was at the Marin Civic Center in Marin County, home of Barbara Boxer. One of the most liberal counties in the State. Concours d'Elegance crowd. No problems. Just cover guns in public and people won't get excited.

By the way, our showcase for this April 25, 2014 will be the Armor Showcase Presented by Hagerty. Factory armored vehicles or commonly field-modified trucks like gun trucks. Articles planned for the two national magazines. Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance is sponsoring People's Choice cash awards for the top three - $200 / $150 / $100. Camp Delta at Tower Park info is in the Events forum.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"It Don't Mean Nothin", a M52 tractor with a M35 bed in lieu of the 5th wheel and all other tractor parts. For photos see "Have Guns - Will Travel" by James Lyles, May 2012. See photos 113 and 151. I plan on having it ready by Memorial Day 2015. If the Gun Truck Fairy sprinkles some fairy dust on my build, I'll have it ready for Veterans Day 2014. I've got almost every thing I need to put the truck together. I'm looking for some replica M-2's (2 each), a replica ground 60, a replica thumper and a couple M16A1 replicas. I'll be staying local, however, health considerations prevent long trips.

Major Asstyrd

Thanks for the update jeffhuey1n. Wish you were closer to CA.

Still waiting to see a gun truck at the Camp Delta meet or anywhere else in the state. We do these swap meets every April and September. Third week of each month. April is the big one.

Here are some photos at the meet last April by Craig Clifton (L) and John Verissimo (R). Not gun trucks, but trucks with guns!
Ontos 0414.jpgArmor Camp Delta JV 0414.jpg

Here is a challenge - Our club is hosting the 2016 Military Vehicle Preservation Association National Convention August 11-13, 2016 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA. Indoor and outdoor show. We could feature a gun truck display in our advertising, and even schedule a discussion group. What do you-all think of having a regional or national get-together at this show? Maybe if a few truckers declare their interest in attending, and they help get the news out, some folks in the western U.S. will put together trucks so they can be a part of this. There have to be people thinking about building them.

Last edited:

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update jeffhuey1n. Wish you were closer to CA.

Still waiting to see a gun truck at the Camp Delta meet or anywhere else in the state. We do these swap meets every April and September. Third week of each month. April is the big one.

Here are some photos at the meet last April by Craig Clifton (L) and John Verissimo (R). Not gun trucks, but trucks with guns!
View attachment 508705View attachment 508706

Here is a challenge - Our club is hosting the 2016 Military Vehicle Preservation Association National Convention August 11-13, 2016 at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA. Indoor and outdoor show. We could feature a gun truck display in our advertising, and even schedule a discussion group. What do you-all think of having a regional or national get-together at this show? Maybe if a few truckers declare their interest in attending, and they help get the news out, some folks in the western U.S. will put together trucks so they can be a part of this. There have to be people thinking about building them.
Sweet! Ontos right?

Major Asstyrd

No that's a M20A1 Tactical Hot Tub 8)

Ohh.... you meant the photo on the left... Yes, a 1957 Allis-Chalmers M50A1 Rifle, Multiple, 106mm, Self-Propelled, aka “Ontos”. Brought 450 miles by the Marine Corps Mechanized Museum at Camp Pendleton. You never know what will show up at this meet. They even won a $150 second place prize in the People's Choice contest sponsored by Hagerty Insurance.

But that's not the point. Gun trucks - who wants to display one on the West Coast?

frank scholer

I just found this thread. I am in the process of putting together a tribute gun truck for "Grim Reaper" of the 4th ID. As far as I know there are no other gun trucks in my neighborhood (Colorado). This is the only photo I've found of the original truck that I am recreating. I would appreciate any info someone might have about the truck. There is a photo album of my truck project on my club web site. Go to www.mvcconline.org and click on the link. I've recently added a 50 cal M2 in the rear of the truck.

Screenshot (1).jpg

Last edited:

Special T

I know some one in the Tacoma WA area that is working great on a Brutis build. He was on Brutis In Vietnam. I will try and check in oh his build.

frank scholer

Yesterday we finished the last thing on my tribute gun truck, the 44ST Grim Reaper, painting the image of the grim reaper on each side. The truck has a 50 cal and two M60 guns in the box. It is a faithful recreation of the original truck. I will be bringing it to the Veteran's Day parade in Colorado Springs this coming weekend. This will be it first outing, as part of the Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado and the Colorado Military Historical Group. We will be transporting Vietnam vets as part of the parade. If you are in Colorado, please come out and see us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks