• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any help can help.

cooldude

I have just a few questions. I am thinking about purchasing a hmmwv and was wondering what I had to do to make them street legal. Does the military have auctions for these or would I have to purchase from a civilian? What upgrades would make them better?

ACBMWM#

The military no longer sells HMMWVS to the public due to the fact they find them "unsafe" for the road.
You can find them here of there for a premium. If you are seriously looking for one PM me and I can help you source once.

tanhmmwv

just remember what h.m.m.w.v stands for - high maintenance money wasteing vehicle. they are not for everyone. drive one (on the highway, and back roads)before you buy one.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I drove the Command version in Korea for 18 months (I was the Battalion Commanders Driver) and I can tell you that they are noisy, hot, hard to manuver in traffic and are high maintainence.

I recommend a long drive in city traffic in the middle of summer before you commit.

Parts will eat your lunch if you can find them.

They have an independent suspension and will roll over if you get them in a sideways bind (saw two of those while I was over there). That is why they are no longer surplussed out......same reason the M151 series was not sold without demilling.

You can check prices from dealers and on Epay and there are private sellers out there.

If you are serious you better have deep pockets and be a glutton for punishment.

emr

Actually , I think they were only surplused out after a Marine issue that traded them to a section of government or a business that was not bound by the guberment rule of no sale, , for some other stuff , and they" sold em, Like just under a 1000 units i believe. Not to sell them was a deal with Hummer because they wanted to sell the H1 , there was no well known or bulletins about roll overs with these, as i am sure they have happened,But that had nothing to do with sales,As also the H1 has the same suspension and drive train so that info about unsafe just can not fly, the military has never since day one been authorized to sell them to the public, And as for now they go thru the 0 mile rebuild program and will be around for a very long time in service, I just called my buddy that handles stuff like this, and filled me in , and left a message, i will re post the exact info when he calls back...

nattieleather

I believe the unsafe issue is not it's handling or lack there of but that in military form it does not meet DOT standards for vehicle sales. No drivers and passinger air bags, no side impact protection, no sound protection (i.e. too loud inside vehilce) etc etc. These are the things that the gubment uses to keep a vehilce out of public sales. The H1 had to get upgraded before it could be sold to the public. Ok maybe not airbags, but side impact protection, sound damping, and so on. The handling is not the question it's everything else modern cars have to have that MVs don't.

91W350

I thoroughly enjoyed the 370 miles I got to drive one in one day. I thought it drove very nice, was pretty nimble, you have to respect its width, and was rock solid on the road. I also noticed there is no rolling the passenger's window up or down from the driver's seat. Things dropped or rolling off of the engine cowling and falling on the passenger's floor require walking around the vehicle to get back. I was pretty impressed with the fuel mileage, I drove the older 6.2 non-overdrive version. I would like to have one. I can see where it would be a PITA to drive in downtown traffic though. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks