• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any help with plugs and smart box?

DEA AK

Quick question.

First, I did pulled the red boot off the back two plugs and read the multimeter.

Zero. Nothing. Nada.

I also touched the head with the meter, even close together and nothing.

Touched the head of a bolt and it eventually registered something.

Touched the leads to themselves and it read 0.

Maybe my meter is garbage but I was able to get a reading by touching both leads of the glow plug tip… so I assume they’re blown. Tried pulling it out but couldn’t without the extraction tool.

Finally, I did pay attention to the gauge and the wait light.

I did hear some click or clunk or some metal kind of noise when I turned the switch to run, the wait light comes on for a bit, then turns off. BUT I didn’t hear a click or clunk or anything when the light turned off. The clunk might have been coming from someplace else in the truck I’m not 100% sure.

And, the gauge didn’t go down/dip when I turned it to the run position.

When I turned it to run, the gauge went to yellow and stayed there.

I am hoping my box is okay, even just for now so I can get the box later. I am sure I will need a reliable box.

Has anyone built a manual switch for the glow plugs? Seems like all you’d need would be to close the circuit on the ‘glow plug’ lines to allow current to flow, then switch it off after 5 seconds or so.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick question.

First, I did pulled the red boot off the back two plugs and read the multimeter.

Zero. Nothing. Nada.

Maybe my meter is garbage but I was able to get a reading by touching both leads of the glow plug tip… so I assume they’re blown. Tried pulling it out but couldn’t without the extraction tool.

Finally, I did pay attention to the gauge and the wait light.

I did hear some click or clunk or some metal kind of noise when I turned the switch to run, the wait light comes on for a bit, then turns off. BUT I didn’t hear a click or clunk or anything when the light turned off. The clunk might have been coming from someplace else in the truck I’m not 100% sure.

And, the gauge didn’t go down/dip when I turned it to the run position.

When I turned it to run, the gauge went to yellow and stayed there.

I am hoping my box is okay, even just for now so I can get the box later. I am sure I will need a reliable box.

Has anyone built a manual switch for the glow plugs? Seems like all you’d need would be to close the circuit on the ‘glow plug’ lines to allow current to flow, then switch it off after 5 seconds or so.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you
Yes, and it was posted years ago.

Someone else also posted years ago how to just bypass the glow plugs.

Search is your friend.

DEA AK

Yes, and it was posted years ago.

Someone else also posted years ago how to just bypass the glow plugs.

Search is your friend.
Understand that, thank you.

DREDnot

Quick question.

Zero. Nothing. Nada.

Maybe my meter is garbage but I was able to get a reading by touching both leads of the glow plug tip… so I assume they’re blown.

Im gonna ask cause you are kinda vague and dont want to assume...

Are you on the ohms scale on your multi meter?
Did you touch one probe to the electrical terminal of the glow plug and one probe to the hex body of the glow plug? Making sure to scratch through to bare metal? Thats where you need to read from ideally. One probe on the terminal and the other on the head nearby the glow plug if that gets you an ohms reading. Sometimes its hard to get a good contact through the rust. If memory serves, you should get 2-4 Ohms on a good glow plug. If you cant remove the plug its already bad.

kurtvk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just checked my plugs yesterday after truck starting real difficult for the last few days. The weather in NW Indiana is getting much colder, 40 and 50's in the morning.
Found out all my glow plugs are bad!! 1st one i tried to remove got stuck, so ordered the glow plug removal tool.
Checked the start box, glow plugs were always ON, no on-off cycle whatsoever. probably why there went dead. I'm not sure if they were ever working since i got the truck a few months back. Seller told me they replaced the glow plugs (one of the things i asked for before sale)
Took start box apart (its a Nartron newer model i think) and found 2 shorted Mosfet's IRFP2907 . These 2 seem to control the Glow plugs tracing back the wiring to the plugs. Will order new on Evilbay and update here after i replace glow plugs. ........
Pictures of start box guts included
IMG_6382.JPGIMG_6391.JPGIMG_6393.JPG

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You were shown this link before, but I guess you don’t want to save $. Best of luck. I’m out.