• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any idea what could have caused this?

infidel got me

Just an update on fan replacement-- plan on being there a little while. You will have to remove your radiator stack to replace your fan blade. I had some down time today, so I figured I'd practice what I preach. Replacing fan blade, belts, and installing my delclone alternator. The blade is to close to the shroud, so you cant fish it out like you would think. The last one I did we removed the radiator stack because it wiped out the fan shroud. Just thought this would help anyone wanting to tackle this. If there is an easier way do tell.

3000gt

Ok just so i am clear
When is the **** fan suppose to start spinning.
1)Over 205 degrees
2) All the time
3) when it wants too?

How do you test it. I read where war horse talked about depressing accelerator and it stopping for 30 seconds but what if your in water for over a minute. This is some Fu@@ed up shat

I have a Suzuki sidekick that i drive in waist deep water and have never had issues with fan blades breaking etc.

Action

I don't recommend doing it, but on a cold engine, you will see the fan spinning. It can be stopped with your hand. I have done it.
When it is activated at higher temps, it will move forward (IIRC) 1/4" or so. Mine came on around 220 and went off around 190. Gauges vary, so numbers are not exact.
After you mash the pedal to the floor, you have about 30 seconds to get into the water. I think the water cools the motor enough that the fan will not kick on once in deep water.
Also, I don't recommend driving in water deeper than 30" without the complete fording kit. (not just the tall intake and exhaust).
blades hitting water will have different results based on mass and angle of bladeand speed and....
The the motor runs hot all the time, you can unplug the unit by the washer bottle. This will make the fan run constantly as a default.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a truck that had broken fan blade....I got the truck in the winter time, the fan never engaged till whether turned hot...when it engaged at about 45mph, I thought the engine blew. When I let off the pedal and pulled over, it was running fine, got back in, repeat....so I unplugged the TDM, revved the motor and found my problem, it actually was only missing about half the blade in my case. The imbalance was only an issue when engaged.
Im guessing your fan kicked in at some point and grenaded your setup...

infidel got me

I was in the back seat when that video was made!!! I was telling the driver to go slow..... but didn't happen. This was the second one that this has happened. We had replaced the fan, gone through the same water, same speed and not had an issue. The old blades will fail. I have not driven mine but up and down the road and I have already replaced the fan. # 3 is not going to be my truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks