• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Ideas to Fix M101A2 / M116A2 A-Frame/tongue mount stud / bolt? (frame to tongue)

Overdrive

I posted in the classifieds "wanted" but also wanted to ask in here if anyone has had this problem and figured out a fix or a new part source....

OK, getting ready to take the M116A2 base trailer pieces in to the powder coater tomorrow... ONLY snag I ran into was when I tried to unbolt the 4 front mounts on the frame that hold the a-frame (where you would remove the bolt for the tilt bed feature) the stud nuts stripped the threads on a couple of the studs. Which is bad.

Looking for at least one stud/bolt but hopefully all 4. I have attached pics to show what it is I need. I know I am not giving the part the proper name but no idea what it is called.

brokenmount3.jpgbrokenmount4.jpg

zout

If you cannot find them in your time frame of build here is a choice:

Get the thread you need in a grade 8 bolt - looks like fine thread as well - get a bolt just as long just past the head for your length.

Cut off the threads from this stud - drill and countersink a hole into this stud the size of your bolt (minus the head of course) then tig or mig weld the new bolt in place (cheaper as well).

Overdrive

OK. I got the last bolt/stud off the trailer and it looks ok so I have just the one that has stripped threads. I am hoping someone has a spare somewhere in the "Wanted" section of classifieds. However; I will also try zout's idea of taping a new stud but I may just take it to a machine shop to do the work. My wonderous HF drill press is not precise enough (don't trust it) to drill out the stud properly.

Last ditch effort may be to just weld it in place. I consider these mounts to be "Jesus bolts" as we called them back in my Army days meaning they are a critical load bearing item and hold the tongue of the trailer to the box. So I am aware they are a critical structural item. I have a MIG welder and have no problems with the weld option just have to be extra careful when putting the trailer back together that everything is lined up before welding in place. I took the entire trailer apart for strip and powder coat so the A-frame is all in pieces. Strangely, these bolts (not sure what else to call them) were the ONLY part of the trailer that had significant rust on them. Weird.

Thanks for the assistance and any additional ideas. I have taken lots of pics of this thing from when I first drove it home to now. Not sure if anyone would be interested in a progress posting. It is a Hydraulic Repair Trailer that I will be slowly converting into a super awesome off-road camper/expedition vehicle.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
OK. I have taken lots of pics of this thing from when I first drove it home to now. Not sure if anyone would be interested in a progress posting. It is a Hydraulic Repair Trailer that I will be slowly converting into a super awesome off-road camper/expedition vehicle.
We are visual and always open to see what can be done to make these MV's more user friendly, please do start a build thread.2cents

zout

If they were smart they would do as I recommended per your pics - looks like running a tap over them there was not much there to retap.

Overdrive

Waiting to hear back from machine shop.

Zout, only the one eye bolt was stripped. the others just need to have the threads cleaned up. Planning on the machine shop to do exactly what you suggested and drill out and replace the bolt/thread insert.

Still hoping that someone in the classifieds has a spare laying around but still proceeding with repair of what I have.

zout

If I recall they are the same as the tailgate pivot blocks as well - there are 4 sets across the rear.
If you would have packaged them up and sent them to me - I could have had them fixed by now and on the way back to you :)

Overdrive

If I recall they are the same as the tailgate pivot blocks as well - there are 4 sets across the rear.
If you would have packaged them up and sent them to me - I could have had them fixed by now and on the way back to you :)
Machine shop is INSANE! How much would you charge? New is crazy priced as well.

zout

1 - 6 pack of BEER - Budweiser and I will buy the hardware I need to fix them - all my projects are BEER orientated - Just ask Swiss.

Oh - BTW - PM sent to you Overdrive

Last edited:

Overdrive

zout, got the PM and replied will get with you on your sinister plan as soon as I get all the parts back from Powder Coater :)

I believe you are correct in your previous post about the Eye Bolts being the same for the tailgate on the 101s.

Overdrive

It has been almost two years since I started this thread and a personal move across the country from AZ to MO so I thought I would post a quick follow-up. I was able to locate a company that actually builds trailers for the military and they actually custom fabricated the eye bolt for me... $35 bucks so I had them make me two of them. Trailer is now complete and completely transformed. I am trying to look over my emails to remember the folks that made them for me :(

UPDATE: Searched my old favorites... I had the eye bolts fabricated by Utility Tool & Trailer http://uttwi.com/index.htm I was STUNNED that they would even talk to me much less fabricate an old M101A2 eye bolt for me.

Last edited: