• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Ideas

CucvFML

Yesterday I was driving on the highway (between 55 and 70) when i lost power. Wasn't sure of the problem, possibly out of fuel. Tennessee dot spotted me on the side of the road and loaned me 5 gallons of fuel. Turned it over once and saw the fuel lines (clear) fill up. The man suggested pouring a little diesel into the intake to get it started, then it would pull from the lines. When we tried, it would start then send rpms through the roof. After trying a couple times we noticed that either oil or unburnt fuel was blowing out the exhaust, only on one side though. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite possibly the fuel you dumped in the intake (hoping anyway).
I guessing you need to bleed the lines to the injectors, but I don't know 6.2's
I'm sure someone that knows something will post up.
Good luck

Post your location if still on the side of the road, help may be near you.

trukhead

I discovered Shaffers Lubricants "Penetro" 90 fired up 2 CUCV's that were hard starters and we needed them to go to get loaded on the trailer.
There was no nasty death rattle and KNOCK even with the glow plugs hot. Just a squirt down each intake throat (individual cylinder runner) YAY!!! Lady at the CO-OP said Penetro would do every thing WD-40 would do and better, I believe her now, I listen to ladies that know their lubes!
Fresh batteries, squirt of Penetro, and 2 CUCVs with 20 and 30 thousand miles purring like smooth rattly ole 6.2s should, YAY!
Of course I will be doing the diagnosis to figure out why the CUCVs are hard starters.:doghead:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little constructive forum criticism. Please title your threads with something related to the topic, it helps others searcing for problems.

1984m1008

Hi,

my english is not very well ,but i try,

May be there is a leak somewhere in the fuel line
especially in the fittings so it sucks air in it- this is in any case the rpm goes up....

regards

Rouven

A little constructive forum criticism. Please title your threads with something related to the topic, it helps others searcing for problems.
Hi,

my english is not very well ,but i try,

May be there is a leak somewhere in the fuel line
especially in the fittings so it sucks air in it- this is in any case the rpm goes up....

regards

Rouven
Rouven,

Have you worked in Basel, CF?
Hi Taylor,

no not in basel...

have you been there ?

Rouven

Cucv i 2 ran intoa similar problem DONT STRIP THE INJECTORS just make sure they are snug i found a couple of my injectors were loose they were wet and the were the ones that are in a place that is a PIA to get to lol i snugged them up and i have been good ever since thankfully i didnt lose complete prime im sure u are going to hear more from some other members Also Read the tms that helps alot Good luck im glad u got home alright :]

Trukhead something better than WD40 im impressed where do u buy that stuff :] wd 40 is Best so i thought didnt think anything else was better

I agree with Recovery on the make sure u title the thread revelant to the subject and as for the other converstation Tg and Rouven Pm each other Thats the reason that feature exists Not that the converstation isnt important its just not to this thread thanks :]

Last edited:

trukhead

DSCF0372.jpg[QUOTE...Trukhead something better than WD40 im impressed where do u buy that stuff :] wd 40 is Best so i thought didnt think anything else was better ...][/QUOTE]

I got a can of this from the CO-OP in Sparta, WI and It cam all the way from ST. LOUI so I suppose if yer lucky ya may find it locally:jumpin:

Attachments

Last edited:

BIG_RED

Just a little advice for anyone new to CUCV's or diesels in general:

IT IS ALMOST NEVER A GOOD IDEA TO POUR LIQUID INTO THE INTAKE OF A DIESEL

The reason's are:

1. Diesels have such high compression ratios (over 20:1 for a 6.2) that a tiny amount of liquid could hydro lock a cylinder (the size of the engine comes into play here, larger engines take more), resulting in blown head gaskets or broken connecting rods.

2. Diesels have no "ignition" timing. The timing of the combustion is controlled solely by when fuel is injected. If a cylinder starts it's intake stroke with fuel in it, it could ignite WAYYY before top dead center, causing a damaging knock or backfire. This situation is made much worse by glowplugs, which can ignite the fuel at absolutely any time (as soon as it gets near a glowplug).

So please, If you don't know exactly what you're doing - ask a million questions here before you blow up your engine.

By making this post in no way did I mean to be disrespectful to the previous posters - just trying to stop some new guy from pouring a jerry can down his intake.

wayne pick

I got it home. Thanks anyway man. Ive never bleed the fuel lines before. No idea what im doin.
Aperently, the Tenn DOT guy had no idea what he was doing either, never ever pour a liquid of any kind down a diesel intake. If you must use a starting aid, use silicone spray, never use ether.

wayne pick

I agree with BIG RED, I also think anyone new to diesel engines should understand how they work. Search diesel engine theory on the web, or go to the library and get a book on diesels. I have been around diesels all my adult life, mostly big CATs in heavy equipment and trucks so I know the do's and dont's. A simple mistake can result in costly damage or discourage anyone from owning a diesel powered vehicle again.

trukhead

Better Picture of Super Penetro 90 Address

Better Picture of Super Penetro 90 Address

Their website has a retail locater

Now If I could find a site with a shetail locatorrofl

My jokes are sooo funny!

DSCF0372.jpg

Keith_J

Yesterday I was driving on the highway (between 55 and 70) when i lost power. Wasn't sure of the problem, possibly out of fuel. Tennessee dot spotted me on the side of the road and loaned me 5 gallons of fuel. Turned it over once and saw the fuel lines (clear) fill up. The man suggested pouring a little diesel into the intake to get it started, then it would pull from the lines. When we tried, it would start then send rpms through the roof. After trying a couple times we noticed that either oil or unburnt fuel was blowing out the exhaust, only on one side though. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem?
The only control on a diesel engine is injected quantity, pouring diesel down the intake WILL cause run-away. As will driving through a cloud of methane or any flammable gas in sufficient quantity. All diesel engines have a governor to control speed for a stable idle and running speed.

Now, if you have clear fuel lines and saw air in the system, it is quite possible you have a faulty lift pump. The injection pump has little ability to self-prime.

If you noticed the intake, there are two chambers under the air filter, a left and right. Sounds like you poured diesel into one side only, This is why fuel came out of only one exhaust pipe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks