• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

any interest in saving an old earthmover?

nk14zp

Rant..........
I love this...I will take scrap price....
1...you do not have to spend money on supplies to cut it up.
2...you do not have to spend your time cutting it up.
3...you do not have to spend your time loading and moving it to the scrap yard.

Please come save this piece of history and pay me top scrap price for it so I do not have to do anything.

Done.

Thank You.
It's a trend I have noticed as well.

tom11919

It's a trend I have noticed as well.
If I had my way, I'd keep the thing. But at the end of the day, its my grandpa's pan and he told me that if I can't get scrap price for it, he will. After cutting it up. His health is failing and he's trying to liquidate as much of what he sees as otherwise worthless stuff as he can while he can. He's already hauled off more than 100k lbs of 'scrap'. I just thought I'd see if there was any chance of keeping the thing in one piece. Sorry if I've rubbed anyone the wrong way.

91W350

We have an old dirt man south of here that kind of collects old scrapers and Caterpillars. He has around 30 antique Caterpillars. It would be cost prohibitive for him to haul it home. He would surely enjoy it though. His health is failing as well, he has quit working on the big stuff, instead he has been doing antique cars, of which he must be getting close to sixty of them. A great guy with a lot of neat history around him. Hopefully somebody in your neck of the woods will save it. A lot of the equipment that used to require being cut up to load can be crushed in these new crushers. Some of the stuff my buddy feeds his crusher is just crazy, I am not sure if he could fold up a scraper like that though. It is amazing to watch four wheel drive farm tractors become cubes in a bale. I know it makes short work of deuces and five tons. They do not torch anything anymore, it all crushes, may have to flip it a couple of times, but in the end, he crushes it. Glen

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... A lot of the equipment that used to require being cut up to load can be crushed in these new crushers. Some of the stuff my buddy feeds his crusher is just crazy, I am not sure if he could fold up a scraper like that though. It is amazing to watch four wheel drive farm tractors become cubes in a bale. I know it makes short work of deuces and five tons. They do not torch anything anymore, it all crushes, may have to flip it a couple of times, but in the end, he crushes it. Glen
Just had lunch with one of the Oklahoma Forestry workers that is in charge of the local GSA auction.

At the last sale, a person (i won't call him a gentleman) from Clevland, Ohio purchased 39 vehicles. He paid $24K+.

He called to ask if he could bring in a crusher to take care of them. After alot of debate it was allowed.

So after a couple of days he hauled off 19 Dueces and 5ton, 8 CUCVs, some Dodges and a few Internationals. All flat as a pancake.

The Horror!!!.............The Horror!!!.................

Attachments

Danger Ranger

Save the thing, it sat there for 25 years (according to you) and wasn't for sale. Now, you should at least give it 1-2 weeks of public sale to put anywhere near a half-***ed job of preservation onto it. Please.

(And this is not intended to be a flaming, only a personal rant/ lecture) ;):D

91W350

So after a couple of days he hauled off 19 Dueces and 5ton, 8 CUCVs, some Dodges and a few Internationals. All flat as a pancake.
He did find out crushing two five tons together makes a weight load by themselves. He had plenty of room, just a heavy, compact load. They are amazing, not sure how he keeps from pushing an axle tube through the floor, the noises those blocks make as they give it up are almost sickening. I know he crushed over 700 cars and trucks, along with a few tractors, five deuces, three five tons and a bunch of scrap, had it hauled off and the lot cleaned up in one week. When he pulled into that yard and said it would all be out of there in a week, I had my doubts. After watching for a couple of hours, the doubts were gone. Lots of stuff I would have liked to have saved or at least robbed parts to help others with. He operates purely on volume. I hope somebody saves this scraper. Glen

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. It has sat for 25+ years and now has to be scraped in a couple of days.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

September 16th, 2011.

This is where the "It's his to do with what he wants" hits the fan. The machine is salvageable, Gramps wants his $$, but I'm not sure what he's figured time, torch gas, loading and hauling into his scrap calculations. He'll clear a lot less then 13.5 per pound, and at that rate it's probably not worth scrapping. Either way, the Chinese aren't paying what they used to, and neither is anyone else, but it is heavy melting scrap.
Sorry to see it go, but gramps could probably call the Army Corps of Engineers School to see if Uncle would accept the donation, otherwise he's going to be cutting it up.:-x
I remember these beasts, and one sees why the articulated payloader scraper came along as they are less manpower intensive to operate.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in mid-michigan 5 foot heavy melt is 15.25 cents a pound , complete units are 12.5 cents a pound . I doubt you can cut it up for 2.75 cents a pound . The local scrap processer has a 235 cat excavator with a hydraulic shear on it that will grab a complete 5 ton a throw it around like a matchbox car and have it cut into chunks in a mather of minutes.