• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any issues with running old surplus 37’s

RPMRPM

Is there any issues with running 90% surplus tires that are like 10 years old I wouldn’t run a civi tire that old but I was wondering if the military tires are different because of construction I run 40 psi for normal driving they’re a lot cheaper and I was wondering if they had blow out issues at like highway speeds and if they did blow out was it destructive like civi tires or just a slow blow

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My MTRs are now 10 or 11 years old now as I've had my truck for over 6 years now and have zero issues. No checking at all. The put a heavy load of UV protection on military tires because of the crazy environments they are subjected to. I would like to have fresher tires but oh well. I run mine (D & E load) at 50 psi. A tad rougher but less vibrations and easier steering.

Mark

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a greater risk of a blow out? I would say sure but to what degree who knows but I don't lose any sleep over it. Just my .02 cents.

Mark

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it all depends on how they were stored.
I've used 20 year old Wrangler MT tires and had no issues; just kept them at 35psi.

I used some 10 year old 90%+ tread MT/R and they had sidewall cracking within 6 months.

Only reason I bought new to me tires at the beginning of this year was the 12 year old MT on the front of my truck were starting to show some cracks. The 22 year old MT on the rear still looked fine. The person that sold me the older ones said they had been stored in an enclosed trailer out of the sun for 15 years before I bought them (they came off an H1)

Currently I'm running some 5 year old Baja tires from Feltz tire that were 100% tread. a set of 4 to a local shipping dock was a little under $1500 for everything. Not the cheapest option, but not terrible.

87cr250r

A tire has 3 layers. There is an inner layer that holds the air in, a reinforcement layer for strength, and an outer protective layer. The inner two are the most important and the least visible. Some amount of cracking in the outer layer is tolerable but if it exposes the reinforcement, that can cause damage to the reinforcement through UV degradation (nylon and polyester plies) or corrosion (steel plies).

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
high pressure = less sidewall flex and less sidewall heat.
If you want to run older tires keeping them at higher pressure will help reduce stress on them.
If you want to run lower pressures for off road driving and a softer ride, then stick with newer.

Autonomy_Lost

In addition to what others have said, keep the runflats installed. If you do have a blowout, it will be much less catastrophic.

I'm running 2015ish MTR's and they look like new, not a crack to be seen.

MarkM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be interesting at highway speeds for a 37" tire experiencing a front wheel blowout without a run flat to drop what 10 plus inches . That will wake you up quick.

Mark

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be interesting at highway speeds for a 37" tire experiencing a front wheel blowout without a run flat to drop what 10 plus inches . That will wake you up quick.

Mark
I've blown a 14.00 (48") at highway speeds more than once without run flats. And 11.00s also (42").

It's not as big of a deal as you'd think.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've blown a 14.00 (48") at highway speeds more than once without run flats. And 11.00s also (42").

If you're a competent driver then yes, blowouts aren't as big of a deal. HMMWVs without armor it really shouldn't be an issue as long as you can hold onto the steering wheel and don't panic brake.

If you drive a Ford Explorer, then apparently it's a death sentence (remember the old Ford tire issue and how tire pressure sensors became mandatory in new vehicles? Some people just shouldn't be allowed on the roads in the first place)

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my HMMWV a couple years ago. Previous owner had just installed NOS tires. They were all 9-12 years old and looked brand new. After a year and a half of driving, ALL of them had cracked sidewalls. (I was running everything around 30 PSI.)

I ended up ordering a set of brand new goodyears, and got lucky. Not cheap, but my tires all are from the same batch with a date code of 2022. (20th week of 2022.)

For MY safety, I went with new tires. Only getting a years or so out of NOS ones soured me. (Only thing I know of where they came from is "some place in Wisconsin.")

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my HMMWV a couple years ago. Previous owner had just installed NOS tires. They were all 9-12 years old and looked brand new. After a year and a half of driving, ALL of them had cracked sidewalls. (I was running everything around 30 PSI.)

I ended up ordering a set of brand new goodyears, and got lucky. Not cheap, but my tires all are from the same batch with a date code of 2022. (20th week of 2022.)

For MY safety, I went with new tires. Only getting a years or so out of NOS ones soured me. (Only thing I know of where they came from is "some place in Wisconsin.")
The place in WI was probably Feltz tire.

More pressure might have taken stress off the sidewalls.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an FYI, called my local tire place today to try to get two more Goodyear 37” MT D rated. They called Goodyear and the are “unavailable with no planned production.” So basically unavailable directly again.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I second that. I had 2 front tire blowouts on my M1028 about one month apart. 37 inch surplus HMMWV tires on civy dually wheels. Not really a big issue. Both at highway speed of 55-60 mph. Just pull over and put on the spare.

After the second blowout I did pay a little extra for NOS BFG's with recent date codes for the front.

Agree on the air pressure as well. If you air down for your offroading make sure to air back up before you hit the highway.

Good luck, be safe.

RPMRPM

I second that. I had 2 front tire blowouts on my M1028 about one month apart. 37 inch surplus HMMWV tires on civy dually wheels. Not really a big issue. Both at highway speed of 55-60 mph. Just pull over and put on the spare.

After the second blowout I did pay a little extra for NOS BFG's with recent date codes for the front.

Agree on the air pressure as well. If you air down for your offroading make sure to air back up before you hit the highway.

Good luck, be safe.
What do you run highway PSI (non towing)

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a warning that if you are involved in a serious accident because of a blowout and someone is hurt you could be in a lot of financial trouble as I am sure insurance would use the fact that you were running tires that were too old and a safety issue. I would hate to see someone put in that situation. I am sure the Govt. would also use the issue to add to the reasons that they should ban Mil Spec Vehicle's from the road. Big business and the Govt. do not care what is reasonable and fair just what they want and what works for there agenda.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a warning that if you are involved in a serious accident because of a blowout and someone is hurt you could be in a lot of financial trouble as I am sure insurance would use the fact that you were running tires that were too old and a safety issue. I would hate to see someone put in that situation. I am sure the Govt. would also use the issue to add to the reasons that they should ban Mil Spec Vehicle's from the road. Big business and the Govt. do not care what is reasonable and fair just what they want and what works for there agenda.
A true statement but not confined to running military surplus tires. I'm not sure that there is an 'expiration' date for tires beyond an industry standard which also varies between tire companies as far as I know.