• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any mil flatbed trailers to complement the deuce?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not yet encountered a flatbed trailer that utilizes deuce rims and 9:00x20 NDT tires.

Something tells me the 6,000 lb towing capacity of the deuce limits the trailer choices to the M105 cargo and genset trailers.

Have I missed something? If you have any ideas, shout them out.

Fitting M105 axles under a civvy flatbed would be an option, however.... :grd:

Rick

whyme

Also depending on your needs there are plenty of kitchen trailers that have been stripped, prob make for a decent utility flat bed.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy

amaverick88

There are other ones out there but I cantbrecall them off the top of my head. But when I ft home I will look it up and post ones that utilize the deuce wheels/tire combo.

ODw/envy

I like the look of the m1061 and m998 (not 998a1). You would have to be careful tough. 13000 # behind almost any deuce is going to put you at 26,000 GCW and into class A territory. I was looking at these myself.

It turns out I can legally haul more behind the Superduty than the deuce. GCWR is 20,000. 7,640 on the truck. 4,500 w/ current trailer. Leaves 7,860 for load with a goose neck.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5ton flat bed trailer, it doesn't use 9.00's but then are you planning to use it off road?
Yes, nearly 100% off road.

I like the look of the m1061 and m998 (not 998a1). You would have to be careful tough. 13000 # behind almost any deuce is going to put you at 26,000 GCW and into class A territory. I was looking at these myself.

It turns out I can legally haul more behind the Superduty than the deuce. GCWR is 20,000. 7,640 on the truck. 4,500 w/ current trailer. Leaves 7,860 for load with a goose neck.
I thought the M1061 rims and tires are highway oriented?? I'll go take another look and see about that and the M998, thanks.

Ha, your trailer weight alone is a half ton from the pintle limit of the deuce if fitted with a winch! Talk about conservative rating!

Rick

ODw/envy

Yes, nearly 100% off road.

I thought the M1061 rims and tires are highway oriented?? I'll go take another look and see about that and the M998, thanks.

Ha, your trailer weight alone is a half ton from the pintle limit of the deuce if fitted with a winch! Talk about conservative rating!

Rick
You are right but are they really going to be any worse than NoDirectionalTreads.

I worry about the power too. 13000 truck + 7300 trailer + ??? # of something + offroad - 130hp/330ft/# - NDTs = Stuck in the boonies.

pmramsey

I know you expressed interest in 9 x 20s but if you are off road, need to carry a load, wish to remain under 26,000 lbs, and still use a Deuce, you might want to consider the M796 bolster trailers. It is rated 4-tons off road. the duel axlels with four wheels are lower to the ground and each tire is about a foot and a half wide. I own several. You can find them with new tires (including new spares) just out of rebuild for under $600 with premium. If you need a finished deck, a deuce bed is perfect. I mount 20-foot aluminum 5-ton beds on mine. We just moved this one into the field for the season on Wednesday.

We only used the A3 to move it empty the 100-miles to a farm we lease on the Northern Neck Loaded, we use one of the 5-tonners.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasttruck

The Army had a one axle 6 ton s&p fifth wheel trailer similar to the 6 ton van back in the day. Havn't seen one on GL recently though. These trailers used 9:00x20 tires and rims interchangeable witrh the cargo trucks.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The expando vans used 900x20's and there have been some conversions to lowboys using the frame (there is one in my future).

My intent is to use bolster trailer axles so I can use the low profile 12 ply tires that come on the bolster. This will drop the deck height by almost a foot.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know you expressed interest in 9 x 20s but if you are off road, need to carry a load, wish to remain under 26,000 lbs, and still use a Deuce, you might want to consider the M796 bolster trailers. It is rated 4-tons off road. the duel axlels with four wheels are lower to the ground and each tire is about a foot and a half wide. I own several. You can find them with new tires (including new spares) just out of rebuild for under $600 with premium. If you need a finished deck, a deuce bed is perfect. I mount 20-foot aluminum 5-ton beds on mine. We just moved this one into the field for the season on Wednesday.

We only used the A3 to move it empty the 100-miles to a farm we lease on the Northern Neck Loaded, we use one of the 5-tonners.
pmramsey, that is a good looking set up you are running. It's not the direction I am headed but do tell, any chance of fitting deuce pattern rims on those hubs?

Thank you,

Rick

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The expando vans used 900x20's and there have been some conversions to lowboys using the frame (there is one in my future).

My intent is to use bolster trailer axles so I can use the low profile 12 ply tires that come on the bolster. This will drop the deck height by almost a foot.
WM, I ain't got the gumption to tear apart a piece of equipment like a van in order to cannibalize it. Building up from a M200a1 would be my first choice for my purposes.

You guys have a point about lowering the deck height and CG. I was thinking about maintaining tire/rim specs just to manage spares. Actually the work required to load is probably more important, so deck height should be considered. Shoot, I rarely have flats as it is.

Thanks guys,

Rick

Nonotagain

pmramsey, that is a good looking set up you are running. It's not the direction I am headed but do tell, any chance of fitting deuce pattern rims on those hubs?

Thank you,

Rick
The axles on a M796 bolster trailer are too close together to install 9.00X20 tires.

The M1061 "laundry" trailer uses the same bolt pattern of the deuce, just that the trailer uses 12.00X16.5 inch tire/wheel. You can install a 9.00X20 tire and wheel on a M1061 trailer but the bed height will be close to 48", and you will have to cut away some of the flat portion of the bed for the axle to be able to articulate.

The tires on both the bolster and laundry trailers are load range F and rated for 4079 lbs single which gives a 16,000 capacity for all four wheels.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also depending on your needs there are plenty of kitchen trailers that have been stripped, prob make for a decent utility flat bed.
I found those, thanks! They are the M103, rated 1 1/2 ton and dimensionally look like the bed area of the M105. That would be a great platform for a utility trailer.

Rick

pmramsey

OK, so the bolster trailer idea is a bit much and the 9 x 20s will not fit it. However, it has a deck height equal to the deuce bed.

I have another trailer that is the M1082A1 which is a 2.5 ton, single axle trailer. It uses the 395 singles. I suspose you COULD switch them to 9 x 20s. The trailer bed and cover is identical to a deuce bed. I think I can round up some photos for you as I just moved it last week. Yes, it has central tire inflation but it also maintains 50 psi when towed behind an A2 or our M818 or M813A1. The 2.5 ton rating is off road. Think of it as an M105 on seroides. The sides are all folding.

We usually match it to our M35A3 for light to medium loads because of the tires and the fact the A3s CTIS actually works and runs it. The trailer also has anti-lock brakes. For heavy loading, we use one of the 5-tonners to move it.

Attachments

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I would do is find a parts deuce with a good bed. Cut the front end off and add a tongue. There's pics around here somewhere of one somebody made.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing pic of a camping trailer that someone here had, it was two axles, one at each end of the trailer. The majority of the trailer was a box of some sort with lots of doors for storage. I remember it being called "the camper apocalypto" but the trailer was part of the whole package. Anyone have pics?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks