• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any modern parts for an Mep-002 tank?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of the 002s I got out of TX a few weeks back has a tank that is thoroughly rusted on the interior (the set seems to be triple rinsed 3+ years ago, based on verbiage spray painted onto it). Good going guys!

So I was in the midst of taking the tank off the other unit I have, to see if I can get a single working model and go from there. The float appears to be made of cork, or something similar... and it is of course trashed. Is there a modern assembly that I can retrofit here, so am I just going to be looking for OEM parts to replace this with?

Thanks

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And of course I will have to finish disassembling the tank to see if the float switch is in equally impressive condition, but I at least I want to get an idea of what I am looking at as I get one of the two sets operational.

Chainbreaker

The Kelch cap-n-gauge will not be a drop in replacement. It screws onto a male filler neck according to the spec's, so it has female threads. The OEM fuel gauge uses male threads. So it looks like you will have to find an OEM replacement or attempt to repair your gauge if possible. I don't recall that it uses cork, I thought it was some type of plastic although I may have it confused with aux fuel float switch.

By any chance are your -002's on a trailer? If so, you could do what I did and replace the -002 tank with a larger -003 tank by relocating the batteries down onto trailer deck. There are some new -003a tanks out there that are complete with all fittings at a decent price.

Guyfang

Staff member
The Kelch cap-n-gauge will not be a drop in replacement. It screws onto a male filler neck according to the spec's, so it has female threads. The OEM fuel gauge uses male threads. So it looks like you will have to find an OEM replacement or attempt to repair your gauge if possible. I don't recall that it uses cork, I thought it was some type of plastic although I may have it confused with aux fuel float switch.

By any chance are your -002's on a trailer? If so, you could do what I did and replace the -002 tank with a larger -003 tank by relocating the batteries down onto trailer deck. There are some new -003a tanks out there that are complete with all fittings at a decent price.
In the old days, the floats were indeed cork.

Guyfang

Staff member
GEMS SENSORS INC. 1 COWLES RD PLAINVILLECT06062-1107UNITED STATES
THE AIRFLO INSTRUMENT COMPANY 53 ADDISON RD GLASTONBURYCT06033-1601UNITED STATES
MADISON COMPANY 27 BUSINESS PARK DR BRANFORDCT06405-2925UNITED STATES
VA
SHAW DEVELOPMENT, LLC 25190 BERNWWOD DR BONITA SPRINGSFL34135-7846UNITED STATES

phone fax
HQ0337860-79343488607934340 N
HQ0337860-63394558606335222 N
HQ0337203-48844772034815036 N
HQ0338239-40561102394056101 N

This is for the fuel level sending unit.

csheath

I would measure the size and compare to some of the universal fuel cells available. Most have provisions for gauge sending units and connection options.

Chainbreaker

In the old days, the floats were indeed cork.
OK, if they are cork and the cork is the problem there might be a way to fix it. All it has to do is float up and down on the shaft...hmmm I wonder if adapting some wine corks to attach to float mechanism, in a MacGyverish way, might work in a pinch until a replacement can be found. A nice Pinot Noir or Zinfandel might go well with Diesel.

rustystud

OK, if they are cork and the cork is the problem there might be a way to fix it. All it has to do is float up and down on the shaft...hmmm I wonder if adapting some wine corks to attach to float mechanism, in a MacGyverish way, might work in a pinch until a replacement can be found. A nice Pinot Noir or Zinfandel might go well with Diesel.
Just be sure to seal the cork. All cork that comes in contact with diesel needs to be coated with a varnish to seal it. I cannot remember what kind of varnish though. Our busses used a cork ball in the automatic fuel shut-off system. If the varnish wore off they would stop floating.

Chainbreaker

Just be sure to seal the cork. All cork that comes in contact with diesel needs to be coated with a varnish to seal it. I cannot remember what kind of varnish though. Our busses used a cork ball in the automatic fuel shut-off system. If the varnish wore off they would stop floating.
I wonder if "Marine Varnish" would do the trick?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Famous auction site. 6680-01-038-3719
You're a good man, Charlie Brown! The line diagram in the 24P for this set is lacking... the copy I have (and the copies I have seen) have lines and a chart... but no numbers or letters to correspond to the components. I know there are descriptions, but **** are the manuals better for the later sets.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Guyfang

Staff member
You're a good man, Charlie Brown! The line diagram in the 24P for this set is lacking... the copy I have (and the copies I have seen) have lines and a chart... but no numbers or letters to correspond to the components. I know there are descriptions, but **** are the manuals better for the later sets.
If you compare the listing and pictures, you can figure it out. Its a PITA, but that's your tax dollars at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you compare the listing and pictures, you can figure it out. Its a PITA, but that's your tax dollars at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do a lot of business with NAVSEA and NAVAIR... they have this funny term called 'clean up money' that relates to their spend it or lose it budgets. If only folks knew the bottomless hole that is contracting...

Guyfang

Staff member
Took a quick look at the link. Will dive in deeper. Interesting!

After I made WO, this kind of stuff became important to me. I just could not see spending money on stuff, just to spend money. Its one of the reasons I got real good with the AMDF, Army Master Data File. I figured that if we just HAVE to blow money, I would try and blow it on stuff we really needed.

I once spent 4-5 hours looking through LIGHTS in the AMDF. We spent mega bucks on these huge, plastic, cheap shi* rotating amber lights for our vehicles. They cost a ton of money, and after you mounted them, they were broke in about a week. It was end of fiscal year, and we had to SPEND. I looked at the AMDF till my eyes dripped blood. I got lots of stuff that made the soldiers life easier and better.

Then I found the lights! Small, magnetic base, BRIGHT, and 24 volts. You would have thought I had invented gold! They were only about 1000% better, and just a tad more costly. No one had ever seen them, and every one wanted them. I of course, ordered a "few" for "backup and trading material". Better than gold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks