• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any one knows of a M35 bed on a CUCV?

allrevup

Just wondering:cookoo:

Has any one gone the Bob-job on a CUCV truck route, using a M35 bed with the drop sides/tailgate? They look built for abuse...

Looking around I found an Avatar with a CUCV pick up bed on a M900 ?

I imagine that it is probably needs to mount higher above the rails and that after lights and rear hitch bumper like a M1010 or M1031, it would be a lot heavier and wider. I guess a welder/fabricator could make it fit.

I kind of like (the look) of a couple of Bob's, I have seen but would like a little more versatility and practical potential... maybe sides boxes below the frame , a headache rack a storage trunk or fuel/box combo.

Just using my remaining brain cells, trying to get to Spring, Guys!

Any Ideas or photos????

Last edited:

91W350

In this case, I think it would be easier to use the Deuce box as a pattern and build one out of tubing and iron. To make it look clean, you would need to cut a strip out of both sides lengthwise and both ends width wise. Maybe you could get away with removing a entire section length wise. Interesting plan, I wonder what it would weigh...

allrevup

Yes, I figure they do a lot of cutting to Bob the M35 with supper singles & have to mess with tha axles. JUST LOOKING and wondering about what it would take?

Thanks, any thing you can add is welcome...

allrevup

91W350
Before getting my first CUCV, in 2002. A 1987 M1028A1, I SOLD it, too pristine (USAF with fresh everything... 383 OD paint, spare, jack & tools, 9K miles and only a cracked windshield) for my intended purpose) I was looking for a Military Jeep M151 or a Kaiser/Gladiator M700, Now I know who had then all, YOU.

That is the LOOK, I've always like the flat fender M37/M715 bodies. But the GM, CUCV seemed more practical for a beginner like me.

allrevup

The M101 bed grafted onto the M1008 chassis is probably the most practical and maybe lighter, but NO bed sides that drop down or a true flat bed...

keep your Ideas and insight coming...

Thanks

jbingvtx

I like the idea of a dropside M1008. If you build one I'd love to see it. The M101 bed would look cool too. Build one of each and take lots of pics so I can copy the one I like best:grin:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You want us to drive it for you too? Make a flat bed and weld 4 tailgates to it. Now you have a dropside bed.

allrevup

Yeah! 4bogginchecys

That Jeep bed would be easy to fab, The Bronze Chevy bed is a bit more intricate and out of aluminum, but NO sides or tailgate. If I could do that one for the cost of a surplus M101??

I just seriously started thinking about the flat bed, too many OD trucks with lift nowadays.
I still have a large Weather-guard trunk box and a Air-Tanks fuel/toll box, and could also incorporate my headache rack. I am not in a rush, Just covering my bases and trying to do it right first time at it.

Did I read in one of your post about some BIG tires goin on one of your trucks?

greenjeepster

You would be better ff to fab from scratch I think. The deuce bed would hav eto be narrowed and shortend and you also have the issue with the two beams that rin down the middle 32 " on center. You woukld have to loose them and that will require extensive fabrication to build back up the structural integrity.