• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any one put a turbo on the 250 cummins?

supermechanic

I put a turbo on mine.
Not a hard job if you can build some intake manifold parts.
Muffler is now on top of fender.
Air cleaner is right in front of the muffler.
Get ALL of the exhaust plumbing from your donor engine.
If you want details of intake piping, PM me.

madsam

Looking at www.heavytruckparts.net. They have some good prices on used parts. Especially if you don't want to put on a new turbo. On of them is going for $150. If that would work, that is cheep to try it out.

madsam

Does anyone have a pic of what the conversion should look like when done? I would love to see it.

spicergear

madsam said:
Yes. I don't think the muffler quiets things down a hole lot. It is like you are straddling the engine when you drive the thing anyway. Maybe running a pipe all the way back might quiet it down a little, but the engine is so loud rattling and banging even without the exhaust noise, it would be loud.

But that is part of their charm..
I thought I'd be clever when I put the V8 Cat into my deuce truck and follow the stock non mufflered exhuast. Stock actually is mufflered as the turbos are considered muffling devices and do cut back on the ear piercing rasp. So now I have two stacks stopping ahead of the cab...LOUD. If the stock muffler just takes that piercing note out and leaves the rest of the loud it's still a big difference. I use ear plugs or my ears ring later. Gonna get 'header insert cones' for it at some point to take the ear bleed note out. Getting it behind the cab would do a lot for incab sound.

houdel

spicergear said:
Gonna get 'header insert cones' for it at some point to take the ear bleed note out.
I put one of those in the stack on my Deuce. I did not have s sound meter at the time, so I cannot say how much it reduced the exhaust noise. The maker claims a 5-7 dBa noise reduction and I did notice a slight reduction in the exhaust noise so I'd guess their claim is pretty close.

However, when you are starting out at close to 100 dBa, getting the noise down to 90-95 dBa means you still have a long way to go. I've been trying to find a "stealth" muffler to mount under the cab like the old N/A multies had. I've found some with the inlet and outlet in the end of the muffler that looks like they would work but haven't done anything further yet. Noise reduction is in the 12-22 dBa range.

FWIW, I got a reading of 85 dBa in my truck at 50 MPH on a long downhill coast with the engine off and trans in neutral, so there is a lot more than just the engine noise to worry about if you want a quiet cab.

madsam

Here is what I used on my trip.. And I had XM radio... I had modified a set of safety headphones a while back for riding on air plains for a long time. Put speakers out of a cheep set of headphone in them. And can be used just to quiet things down without the wire plugged in.

Attachments

madsam

Well, I got a cheap turbo. I hope it is worth it... $70.. If it works, it was a good deal, if it doesn't it is an expensive paperweight. Well, turbo cores goes for only a little less, so I guess I can use it for a core if it is bad... I don't think there are rebuild kits for them. I saw it on GL, and figured it was a sign, considering what this post was about...

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1434208&convertTo=USD

madsam

When I had a turbo go out in a car, the oil seal went out in the exhaust side. Blew smoke out the exhaust.

madsam

A couple of the pics look like it is bigger, and others look like it is smaller. The weight looks right.. If it is to big, I will figure out what it is for and resell it. A big core must be worth something..

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
madsam said:
Is the NH250 the same block as the N14. It looks like the same basic engine block.
No, it's not. The turbo you got is an ST50. It did come on the early NT engines. See the oil out the back? That's what they like to do. They also like to pump oil into the intake. I think I have a manual for that turbo that shows how to rebuild it.

TheBuggyman

Go to: www.airflo.com and talk to Mike in the Portland office. He can tell you exactly the application and HP design on that turbo if you have the #'s off of it.

They also have about every intake and exhaust piece you could want and some that are not even listed!

Good luck and let us know how it turns out, I have a 250 also.

madsam

Does anyone know how big truck engines use a wastegate? I don't think I have seen them on the big trucks. How do the big engines control the amount of boost? Does anyone have a pic?

I really don't want to over boost my engine, just get it back to sea level intake manifold pressures.

jwaller

I am in the process of converting mine to turbo with parts from the 425hp cummins that looks just like ours. the turbo is huge. hopefully I can turn the fuel down run 1/2 std boost for this turbo and make the power I want and not hurt the engine. Initally it will not be intercooled but depending on how well this goes I will build one for it at a later date.

I will get some pics up in the next couple days of my work for all to see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks