• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any one use house paint on their truck??

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I washed the truck and let it dry. In places where there is a little rust, it came back but is not objectionable.

CatMan

CARC Paint option

Another GI paint option, is your local Caterpillar dealer parts department.

Many Cat dealers are now doing rebuilds on engineer equipment at the local level. Cat has put Mil spec 383 in their parts system (worldwide) in order for the dealers to complete the rebuilds.

I believe it is available in 1 Gal and 5 Gal under a Cat part number. I'll see if I can find a part number. Overwise the parts guy may look at you funny and tell you Cat's are yellow not Green! Or if your local Cat dealer is near a major military post, ask the Cat shop manager if they have ever done goverment rebuilds. If they have, he'll have the Cat part number for CARC base coat 383 green.

Cat Man

jrosbo

paint

When I posted my post I was trying to place the Idea that the Equipment paint was another viable option. It sells for the same and sometimes less than your exterior grade house paints. And I can buy it here local for less than ordering it through a supplier. It is an oil base paint, you can thin it and add hardner. I have found that after you add the hardner to the gallon you can thin it in the gun using a 1/3 thiner 2/3 paint mixture. That gives a thicker coat of paint that turns out pretty durable. As far as prep work I have painted bare metal and primed metal with good and bad results both ways. Sometimes the metal is just to rusty to save and it will bleed through. Most of my bad results were during the learning process before I knew about all the rust inhibitors on the market. Most of my bad results I chalked up to a failure on my part and tried to learn from my mistake. I prefer to prime everything I paint. I sand blast it, prime it, paint it. If I just paint over something I try to take the time to at least sand any chips or rough edges so I can blend the new paint in to give it a smoother finish. Mainly I just take my time and experiment along the way.

greensix

I use krylon od green,black,brown, and tan flat paint with rustoleum rusty metal primer. you can buy krylon in bulk cans from ace direct 800-441-4223 but the drawback is the hazmat fee

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks