• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any police issues with driving an unregistered 5 tonner from base?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldneagle

Do you feel confident about that? In other words, would you be willing to send me your designated path so I could alert the state police in your area to watch for you? I would never do that. But, the point is made. There is no way you would chance your beliefs about driving a truck home on your car insurance policy. Call them to let them know what you are driving home. See what they say. Get it in writing. Then drive your truck out. Bring your bill of sale, proof from the state that you have 30 days to get your tags, and proof from your insurance company that they intend to insure you no matter what occurs. There is no way they figure you are driving home a 13K or 23K pound vehicle on your car insurance policy.
That is like asking "would you give me your Social Security Number so I can call a friend in the IRS and have you audited. Can you withstand an IRS audit? After all you wouldn't cheat on your tax return- right Bruce!

eagle4g63

I do agree 100% about getting insurance on it BEFORE you let the tires touch pavement.....too many things can go wrong and put you in a world of hurt.......My agent "knows" that I am always getting vehicles....some never hit the road again, after I drive them home, and others are just beaters to get me by while working on my baby.....He has always told me to call with the vin and the details(make, model, year) and if he isn't there to make sure to leave a detailed message including those things. At least this way I have proof that I asked for insurance time and dated before I drove away, and he has told me many times he will stand in court to defend me if need be.

Now everyone might not have a good "relationship" with an actual person for an insurance agent.....I won't do important business with a phone to who knows where.

Again, the op needs to remember one thing........PYA.....Protect Your A--!! Find out from the source don't just risk it, and at lease ask your agent if you can call in your vin when you get there to at least get it insured to get it home.....even if it is just a one day add to your policy.

tobyS

eagle4g63, I checked with the local bmv branch and called the state bmv. Indiana requires insurance and they sell a 96 hour plate for $10 (for driving). My bmv branch wanted proof of insurance, which included the trucks ID number and the bill of sale. They did not tell me that I had 30 days and could drive home on a bill of sale...they told me to buy the 96 hour plate. They said I had 30 days to transfer a plate, if I were so inclined and had one to transfer. I had 2 trailered from Sparta and 1 from Indy as all kinds of things can go wrong.

On another note, the Indiana bmv is issuing me titles from the bill of sale and a police check and no sf97 is required.

Last edited:

goldneagle

I do agree 100% about getting insurance on it BEFORE you let the tires touch pavement.....too many things can go wrong and put you in a world of hurt.......My agent "knows" that I am always getting vehicles....some never hit the road again, after I drive them home, and others are just beaters to get me by while working on my baby.....He has always told me to call with the vin and the details(make, model, year) and if he isn't there to make sure to leave a detailed message including those things. At least this way I have proof that I asked for insurance time and dated before I drove away, and he has told me many times he will stand in court to defend me if need be.

Now everyone might not have a good "relationship" with an actual person for an insurance agent.....I won't do important business with a phone to who knows where.

Again, the op needs to remember one thing........PYA.....Protect Your A--!! Find out from the source don't just risk it, and at lease ask your agent if you can call in your vin when you get there to at least get it insured to get it home.....even if it is just a one day add to your policy.
I agree with you completely. You MUST have insurance on the vehicle before you drive it on any road. I have recovered 5 trucks from GL so far and never had REGISTRATION for any of them -since it not possible to register it until you have the SF97 form at hand. I always have my bill of sale and pickup documents with me in case i get pulled over. In my case I found that LEO usually will not bother you in an MV or wave at you as you drive by.

As far as registration is concerned. What does the Registration Card actually do? Does it protect the public from your vehicle? Does it guaranty that your vehicle is safe to drive? NO it does not. All it does it verify that you paid a TAX for driving the vehicle on the road and the name of the owner. Well a bill of sale will verify the name of the owner too. So all you are guilty of is not yet paying the TAX for the privilege of driving on the poorly maintained road. In Louisiana you have over 30 days to title and register the vehicle from when you receive the SF-97 before you have to pay a penalty.

eagle4g63

Glad to know about the title thing........let me know how the title work turns out for you...........Now I do know that up here they(BMV) said I should get a temp plate, however I have not been told about a LAW that stated I Must get a temp plate to be legal......Like I said, I have driven on bill of sale a bunch and have not had a single cop give me any grief about it.

The thing that will stump the "know it all" at the BMV is to ask them, if I LEGALLY have 30 days to get a plate...then what do I do after the 96 hour temp tag..... do you issue another one.......you will find out that the answer is "NO" you can not get another temp tag..........it is a one time only thing on that car......so again, what do you do with the remaining days?.....not a single person can tell me that, and there is no law that says I have to have a plate before the 30 days in order to drive my car......legally.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is like asking "would you give me your Social Security Number so I can call a friend in the IRS and have you audited. Can you withstand an IRS audit? After all you wouldn't cheat on your tax return- right Bruce!
GE, I specifically said that I would NOT do that. The point, which escaped you, was to consider what would happen if the cops knew your route. Go back and read my post.

quickfarms

I can have my agent add a truck to my current policy and email the insurance card to me in about an hour. Most states require you to have either temporary tags of a moving permit.

Personally I do not drive any GL vehicle until it has been serviced. I had seen to many potential problems to risk it. These problems include simply low tires, air leaks, drained fluids, bad batteries, loose belts, fork lift damage and bad fuel that could clog your filters and take out your pump and injectors.

goldneagle

Actually we do not have a Bill of Sale at the time of recovery! We only have a Paid in Full Invoice. You do not receive a Bill of Sale until you get the SF-97 in the mail. Does trailering the truck prove ownership of the truck more that driving it off the base? So the only difference is that you have not yet paid the TAX for your truck. There is no safety issue here.

We should start a pole to see how many members have driven their MV off GL lots VS those that paid to have them trialered. A third option would be flat towing them. I wonder if flat towing is more or less dangerous than driving it.

goldneagle

GE, I specifically said that I would NOT do that. The point, which escaped you, was to consider what would happen if the cops knew your route. Go back and read my post.
Did someone have to file a travel plan (route) with LEO? How else would they know the route traveled?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually we do not have a Bill of Sale at the time of recovery! We only have a Paid in Full Invoice. You do not receive a Bill of Sale until you get the SF-97 in the mail. Does trailering the truck prove ownership of the truck more that driving it off the base? So the only difference is that you have not yet paid the TAX for your truck. There is no safety issue here.

We should start a pole to see how many members have driven their MV off GL lots VS those that paid to have them trialered. A third option would be flat towing them. I wonder if flat towing is more or less dangerous than driving it.
Does trailering a truck prove ownership more than driving off the base? I hope someone else asked about that, because I did not. I never questioned ownership. As far as I can tell, this has never been about proving ownership. Does paying taxes prove that a truck is more or less safe? Maybe you could go back and quote the post that questioned either of those things. Conducting a post of how many guys/gals drove a truck off a base vs. getting a truck hauled would prove what? Just curious why you proposed such a poll unless it was for the pure science of learning.

plym49

In general:

No registration is a misdemeanor - iow, a ticket.

No insurance is a felony.

You can get insurance with a phone call to your agent. You can get insurance without the vehicle being registered.

Then, when you get home, worry about getting it registered.

Blake

Proper Insurance for the designated vehicle and a temp tags/trip permit are mandatory. What coverage do you get for "free" for xx amount of days after you purchase a vehicle? Liability limits? Collision limits? Medical limits? In Virginia, you can purchase a trip permit online with simply the basic vehicle information. The legal way is the legal way for a reason. As Bkubu referred, anything less is unacceptable and dangerous/irresponsible. This topic has been rehashed many times in other threads and the results are always the same. Check with your DMV on a temporary transit permit, purchase it, and call your insurance agent. If you get into an accident, the parties will be looking for negligence and the insurance company(s) will be looking for reasons to deny the claim, leaving you personally responsible. There is way to much risk at stake.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did someone have to file a travel plan (route) with LEO? How else would they know the route traveled?
No one said they had to file a travel plan. If you are so sure you are in the clear, please PM your next travel route and I will definitely contact the law enforcement agency in your area. You won't do it because you want to skirt under the law. That is my point. If I am mistaken, please send me your invoice proving purchase, your date of pickup, your route of travel, and your proof of insurance or tags (if you feel they are necessary), and I'd be happy to forward them to my contacts.

Blake

I would expect, the vehicles being recovered, are the largest vehicles most driver have ever driven. With simply this fact, inexperience could turn a slight mistake into a major disaster. This includes using a tow bar. Proper insurance for the individual truck and proper transit permit for the state you live in must be followed as a minimum. Cdl's- that's an entire different discussion and has been covered many times already.

Last edited:

goldneagle

No one said they had to file a travel plan. If you are so sure you are in the clear, please PM your next travel route and I will definitely contact the law enforcement agency in your area. You won't do it because you want to skirt under the law. That is my point. If I am mistaken, please send me your invoice proving purchase, your date of pickup, your route of travel, and your proof of insurance or tags (if you feel they are necessary), and I'd be happy to forward them to my contacts.
Tell you what I'll give you my next route if you give me your TAX ID. After all you don't cheat on your taxes so you don't have nothing to worry about.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The trucks definitely take some getting used to. If you have never driven one before it would be ill advised to think you can take one on a several hundred mile trip. If you have experience in one and know what to expect and how to check the vehicle over before driving it then you should be fine. I think most people that buy them and don't get them hauled get insurance on them beforehand and just drive them and you really don't hear about too many problems. Cops aren't looking for green trucks cruising at 55 in the right lane. They want fancy car speeding to give big ticket to. Bring a few cans of spray paint go over the gl writing no one will know you are not in the military.

tobyS

Getting only a verbal insurance "your covered" won't mean much to a cop if your in an accident in another state Plym49. Re insurance, I won't drive without at least a paid insurance receipt, because like you say, you could face a felony. And heaven forbid your in a bad accident, the good will of your agent may just vanish into thin air without a specific paid policy receipt (or some written proof of insurance covering the situation).

Once I trusted lawyers to know and comply with law... that was a big mistake. When a couple hundred thousand $$$ is on the line, people can and do change their story.

If we want favorable treatment in our states, like cheaper plates, we should voluntarily police our hobby to know the rules and obey them (and have proof of such in writing).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again a thread has degenerated into an insurance thread. One person gave you the best information on your question and that PB.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.