• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any protection if one manages to flip a non-armored humvee?

M998 NYC

The M998s a wide truck but if one managed to flip one is there a non-intuitive procedure to follow -- like ducking below hood level?
Talking specifically about a non-armored troop carrier. I assume if it were ever to flip it would be no different from a convertible. I think here's my answer but figured id ask

Also does the c-pillar give any roll-bar type protection?

thanks,
keeping the sky up

Ajax MD

This is one of the reasons why I drive our HMMWV cautiously and thoughtfully. It's also why I don't feel a burning urge to upgrade to a 4LE80 and a turbo 6.5. I don't need to be turning 75 mph in this thing.

The HMMWV is what it is, and I accept it the way it is. The damn thing can kill me well enough at the 60 mph that it's limited to. I almost never drive it that fast. I stick to secondary roads and around town.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ymmv, but my unscientific view point is that I have the rear fender antenna towers and think they might offer a minuscule higher level of protection....

Theories I never want to test.

M998 NYC

This is one of the reasons why I drive our HMMWV cautiously and thoughtfully. It's also why I don't feel a burning urge to upgrade to a 4LE80 and a turbo 6.5. I don't need to be turning 75 mph in this thing.

The HMMWV is what it is, and I accept it the way it is. The damn thing can kill me well enough at the 60 mph that it's limited to. I almost never drive it that fast. I stick to secondary roads and around town.
This is a good point. Besides sucking fuel I usually don't think twice before ripping it 75mph down the interstate. The video below your post says it all -- time to rethink how I drive my humvee

Action

I drove my fiberglass dune buggy at 65 down the interstate. Why would I worry about getting hurt in my humvee? You can get messed up in anything, especially if there is a device under your vehicle to make it fling into the air.

springer1981

No amount of anything is going to protect you in my opinion. Even with a roll cage, there is nothing of structure anywhere. It's all relatively thin aluminum that will tear away. Nothing secures well and would fly around and rip off, like doors, windshield, tops etc. A roll cage will stop the structure from collapsing but won't help when doors and foot wells get ripped out or crushed in.

I think of driving my Humvee as the equivalent to riding my motorcycle, it's a risk I take every time I do it.

That said a roll cage will certainly help but I don't think it's the fix all for the overall design.

M998 NYC

No amount of anything is going to protect you in my opinion. Even with a roll cage, there is nothing of structure anywhere. It's all relatively thin aluminum that will tear away. Nothing secures well and would fly around and rip off, like doors, windshield, tops etc. A roll cage will stop the structure from collapsing but won't help when doors and foot wells get ripped out or crushed in.

I think of driving my Humvee as the equivalent to riding my motorcycle, it's a risk I take every time I do it.

That said a roll cage will certainly help but I don't think it's the fix all for the overall design.
Great input and I completely agree -- accepted risk for something I love doing. thanks for sharing

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks