• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Texas buyers of the Ft. Hood trailers this week? Tax question

Pawnshop

I bought a trailer off of Ft. Hood in the auction that ended this week (event 5414), the fourth vehicle I have purchased through GL in Texas, and I have a tax question. When did GL start collecting sales tax on vehicles? I am a Texas resident, and the goods are in Texas, so sales tax would be collected on any other items, but I have never paid the sales tax on a vehicle to GL before. The vehicle sales tax is collected when the title is transferred or (in the case of a trailer with no title) the vehicle is registered. If GL has started collecting the taxes up front since the last one I bought back in November 2009 then that is fine, my problem is that they collected too much! Texas State sales tax was 6.25% last time I checked, and GL collected 6.75%! I am not talking about many dollars here, but the last thing I want to do is pay too much sales tax! OR have to pay it twice because GL was not supposed to collect it in the first place!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL error. M915 I just got from Ft Sam had no tax added. Tax is paid when the title work is done!

timm831

Now you all now that they have to collect that money to pay for stuff the gummint spends it's money on. rofl

Last edited by a moderator:

86m1028

I bought a trailer off of Ft. Hood in the auction that ended this week (event 5414), the fourth vehicle I have purchased through GL in Texas, and I have a tax question. When did GL start collecting sales tax on vehicles? I am a Texas resident, and the goods are in Texas, so sales tax would be collected on any other items, but I have never paid the sales tax on a vehicle to GL before. The vehicle sales tax is collected when the title is transferred or (in the case of a trailer with no title) the vehicle is registered. If GL has started collecting the taxes up front since the last one I bought back in November 2009 then that is fine, my problem is that they collected too much! Texas State sales tax was 6.25% last time I checked, and GL collected 6.75%! I am not talking about many dollars here, but the last thing I want to do is pay too much sales tax! OR have to pay it twice because GL was not supposed to collect it in the first place!

What ever came about this ?
Were you able to get them to refund your money ?

I just bought a truck from them (different Texas location) & they charged an extra 8.125% in sales tax :-x.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I have not registered the trailer yet, that is where the taxes will be taken into consideration. There is a form the Tax Office will use to show the taxes have already been collected, so they will not be collected twice. In my case they collected .5% more than they should have, and they collected them on the 10% buyer's premium that is not taxable, so I overpaid by about $4 on a $370 purchase , I am not too worried about that. In YOUR case they collected 1.875% more on a larger dollar amount, THAT is enough to scream about! I don't know who should be refunding your overpaid taxes (GL or your local Tax Office), but someone should...

Last edited:

86m1028

I have not registered the trailer yet, that is where the taxes will be taken into consideration. There is a form the Tax Office will use to show the taxes have already been collected, so they will not be collected twice. In my case they collected .5% more than they should have, and they collected them on the 10% buyer's premium that is not taxable, so I overpaid by about $4 on a $370 purchase , I am not too worried about that. In YOUR case they collected 1.875% more on a larger dollar amount, THAT is enough to scream about! I don't know who should be refunding your overpaid taxes (GL or your local Tax Office), but someone should...
I dont plan on registering this. I did get some other trailers & they didnt charge the tax on them.

If I understand it (here in Texas) we do not pay sales tax to gl on vehicles.

I dont want to scream until I know for sure this isnt something NEW.

pvtjorge

Call the Attorney Generals office in Austin and ask them hows it suppose to be and tell them what is going on.

A satellite company was charging me city sales tax when I don't live in the city limits. I found out who I needed to call for answers and called them. It was some years back and I don't recall the exact details. I think I had to write a letter to the satellite company and tell them what the State Attorney Generals office said. It was in my favor. I did not have to pay the tax, even though it was a small amount. It's just the principal of the thing.

Last edited:

86m1028

How are you going to use the trailer? If it is on Texas roads then it must be registered.

Long story short... the TRUCK I bought & paid an extra $135 in sales tax will more than likely get parted. The trailers I got (didnt pay taxes) on will get homemade trailer plates.

How are you registering your trailers ?

Pawnshop

The M105A3 has a GVW more than 4k so it will be titled and registered "former military" (I do not know the annual fee on a trailer, might be $10 a year like a truck), the other ones will need standard trailer plates. A trailer under 4k GVW has no title in Texas but MUST have plates, with the annual fee dependent on GVW. "Home Made" or factory made is irrelevant under 4k GVW, because there is no title. I paid $800 for my M416 with a GVW of 1360# and it cost $125 for the first set of plates, including sales tax and transfer/paperwork fees.