• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tips on getting cable to wrap right with a level winder?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent hours pulling quite a bit of the cable off my rear winch and winding it back on, The level winder moves freely, but it still bunches up the cable and I have to manually move the level winder. Any tips on how to get it to wind the way it should? I had the tensioner on when winding. On the bright side the rear winch works as well as the hoist/boom :) Still working on the front winch, wind control is stuck in wind.

Attachments

TehTDK

I thought you were supposed to rewind loaded. But i guess that might differ from one vehicle to another.

jwaller

As long as the level wind moves freely and the tension is set properly then it should wind the cable evenly. Is your cable kinked or twisted or unusually stiff?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I'll have to unwind to the last 3-4 wraps and try again. It wasn't real perfect to begin with when I got the truck. Thanks. I have one kink from what I unwound. I'll grease everything up before I start winding.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it working?

Do you see it move?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The leak isn't that bad, but yeah you can hear a little air leaking. Will check it out this weekend thoroughly during the daytime and post an update. All in all, it's great having a wrecker finally even with all the stuff that needs fixing! Thank you guys.

74M35A2

The tensioner may not be working as said. Drag your truck or another truck in neutral while winding it and see if it works. If so, then you know your tensioner is not working right.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you should have all the info needed to fix your problem, though there are a couple of other things that potentially could be wrong however extremely unlikely........
There could be a build up of crud/foreign body in the slots that the sliding tensioner wheel moves in - not allowing the correct pressure to get to the cable AND it is feasable though totally improbable that some goon replaced the winch rope with a smaller size.
NB. Remembering the correct way to measure a steel rope is 'across the flats' not across the largest dia :-
.....OO
->OOO<- ..this is wrong.
.....OO

Sorry - Can't work out how to show the correct way!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
ALSO the kink needs to be Unkinked THEN straighten the cable by some reverse bending in order to get the cable to wrap right.

MadCat2

The book may tell u to not rewind under a load, but all my time in Maintenance, the only way we could ever get them to wrap perfectly tight was to put the truck on a slight incline and attach it to the concrete pilons by the shop, and use the winch to pull its self up hill slowly and the cable wraps tight on the drum. We would manipulate it w crow bars and several strong privates when necessary. That's how i rewrap mine, i use a tractor to keep tension on it now. May not be by the book but it works well on mine.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We just used the tensioner on Swiss's m62 and a 3lb hammer (used at the start to get the first two wraps tight against the drum flange) to REwrap the cable on the rear winch, after the first two wraps, the cable spooled on just fine just using the level wind.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The book may tell u to not rewind under a load, .....
Not sure where this came from, refering to a book quote. Doesn't make sence seeing as a full winch-in for recovery close to the final position of the casualty would be all under tension with exception of the last few feet when "preparing to travel".

So I'd say your time in Maintenance wasn't necessarily doing it against the book!

.... re-read the -10 TM and only reference for using the cable tensioner is for "Rewinding the Winch Without a Load".

Thinking outloud, the dia of the cable tensioner pulleys are smaller than all the other rollers and they work at a localised point, in compression, squeezing the cable, so using them would stress the cable more than when pulling a load, where the cable just rolls with the other pulleys - no squeezing! So perhaps a poorly adjusted cable tensioner (which doesn't work enough) isn't that bad!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks