• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any Tips On Getting HMMWV Wheels To Seal Completely

huskerfan

Hey guys - anybody have any tips or tricks to get the 12-bolt HMMWV wheels to seal up completely? I have the newer style 12 bolts with the centering hole and am replacing the worn out 37" BFGoodrich Baja T/A's with a new set. Never had any slow leaks on them before, but now I can't get the new ones to seal up fully. I inspected and cleaned the o-ring, and greased it up well, but when i get the wheel back together, it still leaks in a few spots around the bead. I cleaned up the bead and the sealing surfaces on the rim - got all the rust and stuff off with a wire wheel, but it is still leaking slowly. It is not leaking inside the rim, so that would lead me to believe that the o-ring is good and holding, but the bead sealing surface is not sealing up 100% for some reason.

Any tips or tricks to get them to seal up completely?

ehuppert

In the civilian world bead sealing area gets cleaned them some bead sealer is applied to the rim before tire mounted. I had moved out of Mnt by the time we got HMMWV's, so never had the pleasure!

huskerfan

More so the tire had some rust dust on the bead that i was able to take off with the wire wheel, and then the bead on the rim was just a little gunked up with some rust, but was easily able to take it off with the wire wheel. I read about the bead sealing compound, wonder if i need to get some of that to use, but it looks similar in consistency to the bearing grease i used on the o-ring. Wonder if just a light coat of some o-ring grease would do the trick?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks