• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tricks for cable?

Carl_in_NH

Try something better than WD-40 - like PB-Blaster from the nearby autoparts store. Kroil is also wonderful stuff if you've got someplace nearby that carries it.

When you've got a 40 year old truck, you need a case of this stuff a year. Well, at least a six pack.

stumps

AeroKroil works better than any other penetrating oil.... If you don't believe me, just ask KANO, the manufacturer! I use Kroil, and it sometimes works sometimes doesn't. I find I have just about equal success with straight diesel fuel, or diesel fuel with a little ATF added to it.

Don't even begin to imagine that Kroil, or WD40 are quality lubricants! They are slippery, for a while, but they soon get gummy. Use a real oil.

-Chuck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, since nobody said it, torch it. I know some of the cables have a rubber coating on them, the one on my 109 doesn't. It also has a grease zerk on it. In the winter sometimes to get it to release, I have to hit it with the propane torch.

Nonotagain

Well, since nobody said it, torch it. I know some of the cables have a rubber coating on them, the one on my 109 doesn't. It also has a grease zerk on it. In the winter sometimes to get it to release, I have to hit it with the propane torch.
Gimpyrob,

If you can pull the cable and allow it to soak in Kroil or PB Blaster for a few days. After it has soaked and the cable is freed up slide the cable into some heat shrink and heat the shrink to cover the cable.

The parking brake cables on my Suburban were replaced twice befor I soaked and heat shrank them. Since being enclosed they release in the nastiest of weather.

Carl_in_NH

For those in a bind for finding a commercial products, or simply wanting a good penetrating oil on the cheap, mix ATF and acetone 50/50; works very well.

One of the home shop machining magazines did a study on some commercial and home mixed stuff, and the ATF/acetone mix was as good or better than any of them. If there's a group out there that knows penetrating oil as well as old truck owners, it would be old machine tool owners.

Keith_J

Take it off, hook it to the negative (black) clip of a battery charger, then submerge it in a bucket of water with washing soda in it. Hook the positive to a grid formed from rebar. Use a plastic bucket, coil the cable and put it in the bucket. Do not let the cable touch the grid.

Rust removal by electrolysis

Better living through (electro)chemistry!

When done, rinse well and soak in heavy oil. Or grease dissolved in paint thinner.

maxim

Conferm it just rusted or seizing. I had one I thought was just rusted too, but it turned out to be fraying and balled up in the housing, It froze up at the most in-opportune time and then you are stuck with crawling up under there in a less-than-comfortable spot. After fighting with the thing for a year I replaced it. My 2 cents.....

ctmustang

And finally if penetrating oil frees it up go ahead and grease it rite away. The penetrating oil will help the cable eventually saw through the cable covering. You know-a new cable is very cheap at saturn surplus and only a few minutes to install.:confused::shock::confused::shock::confused::shock::cookoo:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks