• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any tricks for removing oil filter can drain plug?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have never been able to remove the square drain plug that you are supposed to drain the remaining oil from the cans from. I have tried to get it with the 7/16" box wrench suggested, but it just won't cut it. I can't find any other regular tools that can fit it there to get the job done. I did find some 8 point sockets from grainger, but hate to blow the money unless I have to. Any ideas?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Finally got it. It took a breaker bar on that poor little pipe threaded plug. I guess the maintenance guy wanted to REALLY make sure it did not work itself loose. Anyways I remembered that I had a set of sockets with the allen key on one side. I put a 1/2" drive impact drive socket backward on the allen key. Then I used the 1/2" drive to fit over the square 7/16" plug. Not pretty, but it worked just fine.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sears sells the 8 point sockets individually, under $10.

Blythewoodjoe

I have used socket extensions in the past with an adjustable wrench on the male end. If you have one that is not a perfect fit, cut two pieces of a flat stock to make up the difference. If you have a 1/2" drive extension and a 7/16 head, two 1/16" shims will reduce the 1/2"opening in the extension to a 7/16" opening. It's nice to have a port-a-band saw handy. I hope you had safety glasses on for this. You would be amazed at how fast those little pieces of metal will fly when you shatter a socket.

Joe Trapp

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Why would I need safety glasses I have only scratched my cornea once. It kind of surprised me too as I was using a grinder, and who would have expected junk to come off with that. I do use safety glasses often, however my usual usage line is anything that has a motor attached, high pressure and sprays. For regular stuff though I usually don't. I always keep some around though, so I can put them on after I poke my eye with something.

Sears sells tools still?