• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any way to tell differential gear ratio without removing the cover?

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to tell what gear ratio the differentials are without dropping the covers? I thought they were stamped on the side, but I can't find it. This is on a 1994 M998A1. Need to know the ratio for programming my transmission computer.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the TC in N, and wheels chocked.... jack up one wheel, then turn the other one 1 full revolution while counting the number (and fraction) of turns the drive shaft made.
That number, times two, is your ratio.

If you have a 2.73:1 ratio, your drive shaft will spin exactly 1.365 turns. Or 360⁰ plus another 131⁰.
For more precise results, turn your wheel 10 revs and then divide by 5 the number of drive shaft revs.

Note: Just in case, better do this on both, front AND rear differentials. We have seen cases of mismatched ratios, already...
See this thread...

Last edited: