• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any way to tighten M1009 mirror?

cpf240

Yes. I was able to move the cover / trim piece up and tighten mine a bit so now it stays where I put it. The only problem is the rubber part around the shaft came out of the trim piece, and seems to be too stiff to get back in place. Maybe I need to hit it with a heat gun to soften it up.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine just slowly move inward. After a while, I'm looking at the side of my own trk. LOL Thanks for the question and thanks for the link.
God bless,
Tony:)

Scarecrow1

On my 923 the mirrors are mounted to the frame not the door so every time you open the door to far it hits . When I drove in the company truck I had the problem with theirs that never stayed in place . After many request for the mechanic to solve the problem I brought my cordless drill to work one day. I drilled a hole the same size as a metal pin I had and dropped the pin in the hole. I never had to adjust it again.

I think I remember someone saying they stuck a little piece of bicycle intertube inisde around the shaft and tightened it. I need to take mine apart and tighten them too. Some thread sealer might help the screws from loosening.

Try searching for it, if my mind serves me, they had a few pictures of the mirror taken apart and where exactly they put the pieces of intertube.

jw4x4

I originally tried it with electrical tape. Worked great until summer. Then it melted. FAIL. So I re-did it with some thin rubber. No problems after 4 yrs now. Once you get the screw out and the cover off, the rest is obvious what is needed. Just use a suitable material.:)

blackhueys

take the whole mirror assy of disassemble it you will see where the shaft of the mirror goes into the bracket this is what needs to be tightened I tried that first no go still loose tried inner tube pieces and a bunch of other stuff what I did that finally fixed them? I grabbed my 10 pound maul and gave a whack where the mirror stem goes into the bracket basically ovaling so to say the clamping part put it all back together and now they have not moved in over two years. seems like you can only tighten so much till its just worn out have to remember in the military these things where probably moved around and adjusted daily unlike a private vehicle where you set them once for you and that's it the mirrors just get worn out.

MT4222

I dont know if you would be able to find them but i installed new rubber bushings on the top. I got these from a new pair of mirrors i bought on ebay. Now my mirrors stay in place. At the same time i replaced my door striker bolts so i no longer have to slam my door (well not as hard).

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I used a section of a tie wrap wedged in place to keep mine locked down. It's worked very well and still allows easy movement.

combatmech

I ended up replacing the hardware with new screws and self locking nuts. Worked for me. So many options....it's your truck though. Any way you choose, pretty easy fix.

91W350

I used a couple of wraps of teflon thread tape to tighten up the worn parts. Works good, has skid qualities and is cheap to replace.

Whitey

Mine has always been loose. I completely disassembled it over the summer and retightened everything and it was better the next few times I drove it. It's not a daily driver. However, it loosened up again, but not as bad as before. I just lean foward a little and I can see fine. I asked a few fellow CUCV owners at the last couple rallies and it seems to be a common problem. I really don't think the build quality of any US vehicle from the mid 80's was that great. I know some may give me crap for that, but I feel is was a down point in quality. Still love my truck either way.

-Whitey

rivcrazy2000

I wrapped mine with some rubber roofing tape. Super grippy stuff its like a 1/16" strip of rubber with adhesive on the back, they aren't going to be going anywhere anytime soon.

I just went in the junk yard and found a couple of mirrors from a 89 suburban(it was an old state truck so it was white ) that got side swiped. The mirrors they are in better shape than any i have ever seen. I stole the bushing off both sides and now i have nice mirrors on my m1008 and parts for my other trucks.:]