• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody cut their bow height on M35A3?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The uprights look to be plastic, with the bows being wood? Regular cutoff saw work good?

Was testing to see if the deuce would make it into the pole barn. It's a 10' ceiling but 4" of concrete makes it super tight. I have to lower the CTIS to emergency and the light fixtures are still in the way.

I'm debating whether to move the light fixtures(easier route), but would have to use CTIS in the winter which I understand is a nono, or cutoff the uprights and lower the cargo cover. I'm thinking cutting 6 inches off the uprights.

Any suggestions?

scoutmanadam

you could if you were to do some serious alterations to the cover. basically just hem up the sides so your cover tie downs will still have adequate tension on them to keep your cover on.

steelandcanvas

If you cut the uprights down, your cover won't fit well. The bottom will drop down below the bed-hooks and you won't be able to tie the cargo cover down correctly. Move those pesky light fixtures! You can always fold your cargo cover up and place it on top of the cab and then just lay the bows down in the bed. By doing it this way, the cover will be easy to re-install back on your bows. If you have a soft cab cover, a piece of plywood on top of the vinyl will help distribute the weight on the cab cover frame. I'm lucky, the bottom of my trusses are at 14'.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent! ****, this forum and you guys are on top of it! I'm not stupid but I didn't even think of the loss of tension on the straps!

Thanks a bunch, I'll move the lights, just need to buy a couple junction boxes.

steelandcanvas I didn't have the foresight to imagine I'd own a truck this tall! Did have the foresight to have the rear door as tall as the ceiling though . :)

Thank you guys.

3dAngus

Good deal. You'll be better off for it. Cause after you decide you like this M35A3, you're just gonna buy another and no sense in cutting up two deuces. Moving lights are better. :-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you need another reason not to cut them remember this.......loading and unloading carge is already a backbreaking process in a covered deuce. Also the troops seats would be unusable because they are set for the height of the cargo cover......anybody riding on them would have to ride bent over if they were cut down.

It is not that hard to roll the cover up and put it on top of the truck and put the bows into the bed.....been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

shenkmen

I shortened the uprights on my A2, drilled holes in the uprights and inserted pins into the holes to hold them in the correct upright position. I pull the pins and drop the uprights into the pockets when it needs to fit in the shop. No mods needed for the cover.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I shortened the uprights on my A2, drilled holes in the uprights and inserted pins into the holes to hold them in the correct upright position. I pull the pins and drop the uprights into the pockets when it needs to fit in the shop. No mods needed for the cover.
Fantastic idea!!!!! That might be a solution in addition to moving the light fixtures. Then I won't have to use the CTIS in the winter.

steelandcanvas

I'm not stupid but I didn't even think of the loss of tension on the straps! Steelandcanvas I didn't have the foresight to imagine I'd own a truck this tall! Did have the foresight to have the rear door as tall as the ceiling though . :)
Thank you guys.
Sometimes it just takes another pair of eyes and some 'Ol Man experience to come up with something that can work. You have a few ideas here to work with, think it out and submit photos, we like photos!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you need another reason not to cut them remember this.......loading and unloading carge is already a backbreaking process in a covered deuce. Also the troops seats would be unusable because they are set for the height of the cargo cover......anybody riding on them would have to ride bent over if they were cut down.

It is not that hard to roll the cover up and put it on top of the truck and put the bows into the bed.....been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

That's what I was going to say. They're a pain to load and unload due to having to lean over. I wish they were a bit taller!

shenkmen

I also drilled holes so I can insert the pins and set the cargo cover 12 inches higher than stock when necessary.

CobraCDR

Just pull the cover and bows off instead of cutting it down. Given the winters, it would be easier than having it weighted down with snow & ice when you have it outside. Just follow the instructions in the -10 on folding up the cover so you can easily unroll it when you want to install it again. Once you cut up the supports, it's a done deal. Better to just pull them and sleep on it. 2cents

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete, That's what I ended up doing for now, but I think the drill and cut idea is in the future. It doesn't take much time to pull the cover, fold and pull the bows for sure.

shenkmen

One more thing... I purchased mosquito netting and had the local canvas shop fit it with reinforced edging and snaps in the +12 inch setting. The snaps attatch to riveted buttons on the corner bows and to the fore and aft bows. Next is insulation for the winter months.

I also added foam pipe insulation to the perimiter of the bed so the cargo cover fits extra snug. The goal for this is to keep the rain out during traveling and the the wind out during camping. The cargo cover is tight. I'll add pics in a day or two.

Typing this as my son sleeps in the deuce and I sit by the fire. Lights out soon.

CobraCDR

shenkmen- nice idea about the pipe insulation on the perimeter of the bed... save a little wear and tear on the cover and should help with the seal. Did you just slip it on or do you attach it somehow?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks