• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody want to take a guess at these fluid leaks?

dma251

First is obviously the left side case of my winch - it started leaking after I bumped the lever down and did the "Oh Crap!" move of reeling in until I sheared the aluminum pin. No damage visible to the bumper or winch otherwise. I didn't see any cracks or bent metal.

The next is a nasty littl eleak from the top of my transmission where the shifter comes out. Ever seen that?

Last are some shots of what may just be a leak from the pinion seal on the top of the front diff, but it sure is pumping out a lot.

I guess the best way is to pressure wash all the oil/lube off and go from there. Just wondering if anything real obvious or typical jumps out at anyone.

I'm getting ready to order a bunch of PM parts to address all of these leaks, so I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

Attachments

Rocco

The bottom pic is the same problem im having.
im guessing there is a seal that needs to be replaced.
I have never taking that part apart, yet.

dma251

Well, I had to rethink whether I should have put that last pic in here. Reason is because I also have a VERY bad leak from the left front of the engine somewhere near the oil pump/filter area. I have yet to pinpoint it, but it is leaking so much oil that it is dripping down onto the front diff. In hindsight most of the oil on the diff is probably from that. But it was also leaking a bit on it's own when I bought the truck.

Leaks, leaks, leaks.... For some reason I suspect as soon as I address all these leaks, more will rear their ugly drops...

jatonka

Hi DMA251, The breather in the pic of the transmission needs to be open to stop that leak. take it out and blow through it from threads out. It can be plugged even if it feels loose when you rotate the cap. There are seals for the winch, it's a lot of work to fix, should find the seal before you even start. Saturn or Memphis. You could monitor it for a couple months and see how much you are really losing. Then do as you feel. JT

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i just replaced that seal, the seal i used that crosses with the mil. numbers is a SKF seal number 58741 , the speedy -sleave if you need it (if the seal serface is to badly corrorded) is chirago rawhide -- cr 99587
the hard part will be getting the winch on the ground, mine was already on the ground ,it took me about a hour to get it apart and another hour to put it back to gether, hope this helps

dma251

I was thinking about those breathers. Wouldn't it be okay to just put a barbed fitting in their place and connect a length of hose to a high point as a place to vent? Maybe stick a little foam filter on the end? Same with the diffs. run a hose up high to vent where water can't get in.
Just a thought.

Twinpinion

dma251 said:
I was thinking about those breathers. Wouldn't it be okay to just put a barbed fitting in their place and connect a length of hose to a high point as a place to vent? Maybe stick a little foam filter on the end? Same with the diffs. run a hose up high to vent where water can't get in.
Just a thought.
Yep, you can do that. But also make sure the tranny isn't overfilled. Sometimes people will fill them through the shift tower (shifter stick removed) and they will accidentally overfill it.

dma251

Yep, you can do that. But also make sure the tranny isn't overfilled. Sometimes people will fill them through the shift tower (shifter stick removed) and they will accidentally overfill it.[/quote]

How's my old truck doing? Still running strong?

dma251

Yep, you can do that. But also make sure the tranny isn't overfilled. Sometimes people will fill them through the shift tower (shifter stick removed) and they will accidentally overfill it.[/quote]

How's my old truck doing? Still running strong?

Travver797

I was thinking that's what happened; your old deuce going to a JP editor. I read the article "Impulse Deuce" in the January(?) or so edition of JP, it was good.

Travver797

Woops, sorry, details getting the best of me again. It was the November '06 edition of JP which had a '73 Wagoneer on the cover. And to think of the irony of the caption on the pic of Cappa getting in the cab says, "The seller's wife was really happy to see the truck leave the yard for the last time and not come back." The obvious irony being DMA replaced the 2.5 ton pain in the backside with double that. Gee, you guys really are being role models for the youth of today :)

dma251

I think even Jon would admit to a little journalistic license with his depiction of my rural surroundings and my loving wife's tolerance for my hobbies. I had absolutely no idea he worked for a magazine, or that there was any plans for an article. If I had I would have really "rural'd" the place up for him ;)

You, know - found some junk appliances to stack up in the front yard... Maybe a couple old hotwater heaters... Throw a blue tarp and some tires up on my roof. Even drag home some of the abandoned cars from up the road... Oops, let's not go there.

Seriously, Jon and Christian are a couple of great guys, even if I did kinda wonder what they did to stay warm in that truck on the long drive home... They seemed awefully friendly to me... ;)

Travver797

Yeah, the write up on that article was pretty funny. I still get a chuckle out of it when I read it every now and then. The guys at JP have an awesome writing style that makes reading their magazine relaxing and enjoyable; that is if you can get over the way they talk about each other and the people they interact with sometimes. I'll quote a few lines from the aforementioned article; which can be found on JP's website at http://www.jpmagazine.com/roadtests/154_0611_jeep_m35a2_military_truck/

"It's really probably the only time in my life that I'll actually be able to own an M35A2 2 1/2-ton military truck. Later on, when or if I ever become responsible, I'll have to worry about things like homeowners associations, the opinion of a significant other, and the cost of constantly shrinking kids clothes. But for now I can be stupid and irresponsible because I have plenty of extra space at my house, and I can afford to own a truck like this. No, I deserve to own a truck like this. Anyway, of course, there were deuces for sale closer to home and probably for less money, but this was the first one I found that screamed to me, 'I'm the one! Come and take me home!' Because it was nearly 1,200 miles away made it seem like it would be that much more fun to bring home than a deuce from across the street. This is how I think. I t doesn't have to make sense."

"We flew into Seattle, where the owner picked us up. He was a military-looking guy sporting a high-and-tight who worked as a nighttime security guard (the graveyard shift, to be exact). My experiences with 7-Eleven servitude had taught me people who work the graveyard shift are a little off kilter. The fact that I had a wad of $100 bills in my pocket and he was driving us to practically the middle of nowhere in the woods "to his house" was very reassuring. I mean, really, only level-headed, sane individuals own a 2 1/2-ton military truck and live in the woods. I tried to forget this and figured if anything fishy went down I'd tell him Christian had the money in his underwear and then I'd make a run for it. Besides, no matter what the situation, I was pretty sure I could have outrun Christian and left him for Buffalo Bob freak-show fodder. Why else would I bring an out-of-shape buddy along?"

At any rate, their website is fun to look over because they've got in depth "How to" articles and some great write ups of some 'wheeling trips. Come to think of it, I really do wonder what Cappa would do if he had the five ton you've got now. He went wheeling in Moab with a deuce he borrowed from Boyce equipment but a 5 ton on the rocks would sell copies of their magazine like Hot Cakes... *Hint, Hint*

Their Jeep J-truck that they built to compete in Four Wheeler's Top Truck Challenge was a great read as well: http://www.jpmagazine.com/projectbuild/154_0611_1973_jeep_j_truck/

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great story on selling your deuce to Cappa! I am a JP fan as well even though I sold my CJ7 in the 90's! Now all we need is Cappa and Hazel to show up at some SS Rallies! Maybe slip the SS name in the JP mag a few times for us :D How 'bout it Mr. Editor?!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
PS, I had oil spewing out the shift tower of my deuce on the drive homoe from buying it. Turns out water had run down the shift lever where it sat outside without a top for who knows how long. The tranny got hot on the highway, the water boiled and forced oil out around the seal. Might not be your problem, but something to think about.

No.2Diesel

I think it is the extreme hot and cold cycles an addition to using the truck frequently after months or years of it sitting.

After running My Deuce all day last Sat and Sun, I noticed yesterday that there were multiple weepings of antifreeze everywhere!! I was running 190°-200° both days by completley blocking the radiator. I haven't touched the radiator hose clamps since purchased (a year.) I think the extreme cold after running it hot plays a role in the problem. It was weeping from every connection in the engine compartment. I ran it up to op. temp. and cranked all hose clamps down. Boy that upper clamp on the lower radiator hose is a real Mofo.

Twinpinion

dma251 said:
Yep, you can do that. But also make sure the tranny isn't overfilled. Sometimes people will fill them through the shift tower (shifter stick removed) and they will accidentally overfill it.
How's my old truck doing? Still running strong?[/quote]

Yep. It keeps weeds from growing in a deuce-sized spot in my yard. And of course I embelished the story...maybe a little.

Travver797: Thanks. I always wonder if people appreciate the torture/fun we put ourselves through.

I did want a 5-ton, and I even looked for one...for a few weeks till I realized I don't drive what I have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks