• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody worked with humv rims??

60scout

I put a lift, humv rims and 37's on my M1009 and it looks and rides great but I cant get the tires to seal up right. I bought new o rings for them, that didn't work, rtv'd the sh!+ out of where it should seal... And two of them are still leaking... Anyone have any wisdom on this? Thanks guys.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are you sure its not the valve stem or its gasket?

Get some soapy water and spray them down, where ever it bubbles is your issue.

60scout

Soapy water works well for finding leaks. Dunking them in water is nice too if available.
Do you know if the valve stems and gaskets would be standard? I'll surely try some soapy water, surely beats blindly pulling them all apart again, thanks for the suggestions guys.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if the valve stems and gaskets would be standard?....
There are two different valves in use. Left in the picture is for the 12-bolt wheels; right is for all 24-bolt wheels. The first one, I wouldn't call "standard", at all..!? (Still wondering how they ever came up with that creation...)

"Gaskets" for both styles are more like O-rings. When I had to replace them I used Parker #2-205 and #2-110, respectively.
Also added some PU-sealant, just in case. At least it keeps moisture out, preventing corrosion of the critical areas.

G.

Attachments

dawico

Do you know if the valve stems and gaskets would be standard? I'll surely try some soapy water, surely beats blindly pulling them all apart again, thanks for the suggestions guys.
I think he covered it ^^^. I just dealt with a leak on a 14.00x20. Sprayed the heck out of it with soapy water and got nothing. I ended up laying it on a tarp and lacing the tarp together over the top like a little pool. Filled it with water and found my leak. A valve stem fitting was the culprit. A little Teflon tape and it was as good as new.