• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever cleaned/changed their M543/M816 Hydraulic Filter

houdel

Has anyone ever cleaned/changed the hydraulic system filter on a M543/M816 Wrecker Crane? The filter indicator on my truck is permanently in the "Bypass" position, even with the engine shut down, so it seems some PMCS is in order.

From reading the PS Magazine articles this seems like a no brainer. Remove the four bolts holding the filter housing in place, yank the housing out real quick so the automatic shut off valve is actuated and you only dump 1-3 gallons of oil instead of all 70 gallons and you are golden.

After that point, it gets a little fuzzy. The PS Mag article seems to indicate you can just clean the filter cartridge instead of replacing it. Is this correct? And if the cartridge needs replacement, where do you get a new one? And how well does the "automatic shutoff valve" work?

This whole process seems a little suspect to me. Anyone ever done this, and how well did it work for you?

jwaller

RE: Anyone ever cleaned/changed their M543/M816 Hydraulic Fi

I wouldn't count on the automatic shutoff working. I'd find a way to pull that oil out and store it before I go pulling the bottom out of that barrel.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Anyone ever cleaned/changed their M543/M816 Hydraulic Fi

Mine is still showing clean but since my tank was empty I checked on a new filter, $160 plus, clean the one you have if you can, the dealer I called only had one and it had been there as long as he could remember so he thought everyone was cleaning the ones they had? If you do change it take some photos.
James G.

acetomatoco

RE: filter

If there is no white scum in it... aka water, it should be fine. Getting water out of one of those cranes is a lifetime job.... I ran one for chocolate milk in it for years and warned the buyer that the oil needed to be changed and allowed him $100 on the sale price.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter

madsam just recently installed a new filter and housing for it as his was off or missing i cant remember, lets hope he chims in

southdave

I use to work with alot of boomtrucks, we had this hyd. cart we would plug into the system depending on the crane most at the filter housing it would purg the system of water and debri worked pretty well save a crap load $$. seen similar untis around a GM plant I am at now they are unuse they just buy more in 500 and 1000 gal containers

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hey Lee,
I'm just curious if you ever got it changed out. It sounds like quite a job. I can't imagine having to shell out for 75-100 gallons of hydraulic oil. At least you could burn the old stuff that you took out in the deuce fuel tank, right?