• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever open and repair a TCM?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a spare TCM and case. Before ordering the new module I was wondering if anyone had ever opened one up and attempted a repair.

I have no idea what will be inside, but I assume a chip to accept EEPROM and some other electrics and probably water damage.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a spare TCM and case. Before ordering the new module I was wondering if anyone had ever opened one up and attempted a repair.

I have no idea what will be inside, but I assume a chip to accept EEPROM and some other electrics and probably water damage.
heres a novel concept…open it

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue as with many electronic boards is finding the documentation and then building a test jig to simulate every input and output to verify problems/operation, which would be the "correct" way to do it.

The board is not potted so one can simply clean and look for burned and defective components (visual) and testing with a meter all components that can be identified.
One problem you may have is if you find a burned component is first to identify it then figuring out without a schematic what likely lead to its destruction.

I have successfully repaired many "mystery" boards over the years this way, sometimes it's as simple as finding a bad solder joint.

The "re-manufactured" modules are pretty cheap so investing allot of time does not make much sense.

Westo

I had a problem with mine and opened it up. Mine had a burnt up capacitor on it. I was originally thinking about repairing it (especially when I thought a new TCM was $800) but there were no markings on the capacitor to indicate what part I should look for to replace it with, so I just got a new one.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opened it up.

How the heck does water get into such a heavily protected unit!!! And why not place packaging tablets to absorb/ scavenge the water?

One small doo-dad fell free. 1x2 mm. I can ID the spot but not the purpose.

I will wash in deionized water in the future and see if anything becomes more clear.

In the mean time I will treat this as toast and I will need to purchase a new one. I guess I will need someone to suggest a source.

TIA

T

Attachments

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was purchased as a spare. I want to carry a spare box.

The magic green smoke exited this TCM a long time ago.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opened it up.

How the heck does water get into such a heavily protected unit!!! And why not place packaging tablets to absorb/ scavenge the water?

One small doo-dad fell free. 1x2 mm. I can ID the spot but not the purpose.

I will wash in deionized water in the future and see if anything becomes more clear.

In the mean time I will treat this as toast and I will need to purchase a new one. I guess I will need someone to suggest a source.

TIA

T
Me thinks its from condensation build up, I’ve had a few that have been wet inside, the truck would literally have to be under water for quite some time with some of the water I’ve seen from inside some I’ve had here in the shop.
That’s also the later model TCM from PCS, I prefer the shift pattern on the older TCM with the CZSU EPROMM.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume you mean a spare TCM (mounted in the big box) If so, open your unit and get the part number off it so you get the correct one
Agreed. I also have purchased a separate manual controller that will essentially turn this into a four-speed manual transmission, so if I am out on the road in the middle of nowhere, I will be able to get home safely and effectively using all four gears and overdrive.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me thinks its from condensation build up, I’ve had a few that have been wet inside, the truck would literally have to be under water for quite some time with some of the water I’ve seen from inside some I’ve had here in the shop.
That’s also the later model TCM from PCS, I prefer the shift pattern on the older TCM with the CZSU EPROMM.
Steve, your knowledge base is amazing and you never cease to impress. Thank you.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. I also have purchased a separate manual controller that will essentially turn this into a four-speed manual transmission, so if I am out on the road in the middle of nowhere, I will be able to get home safely and effectively using all four gears and overdrive.
the transmission all electronic, you can’t Make it manual, unless you have a manual valve body, the 1-2 3-4 are solenoid operated, those shift commands come from the TCM, if the TCM tanks….your in limp mode.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have seen worse PCB's repaired. But it's only when the ability to replace the entire PCB isn't an option and parts are obsolete. (I am into retro computers, so there's a lot of cannibalizing and reviving old computers) But that stuff is typically only two layer PCBs. That's relatively new enough to be up to a 4 layer board. It certainly has vias for 2 at least. It's hard to make out, but it might be a 3 or 4 layer board. So that makes things even more complicated to repair. The first thing to repair something like this would be to put it in a ultrasonic cleaner. Then break out the magnifying glasses to check for any top layer breaks. When a trace is broken, you can repair it with a bodge/flying lead. Or sometimes simply scraping off the insulator and bridging the break can work.

Looking at the board, it's mainly passive components. The TLE6220GP is what's driving the solenoids in the transmission. The rub is the firmware in that CPLD, PCS doesn't appear to have released the 2100 schematic. So it's also unlikely you'll get a copy of their firmware either. It has a JTAG header on it. But I'd also bet they have the security bit set to it. The only way you'd get the firmware is to try to glitch it and dump the firmware from it. (And that's a maybe)

Could it be repaired? Sure. Would it be cost effective? Not a chance. Would it be fast? Also not a chance. Would it work? A slim chance.

I'd imagine that *some could be repaired. I bet the 6220 drivers go out on them a lot or other passives. But when it comes to any of their "proprietary" IP, you're most likely not going to fix it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks