• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever recovery M101A3s with a 26' Box Truck

cjk3500

I need to recover 4 M101A3s from Ft Meade this week and my tow vehicle has been acting up. It's about 225 miles each way from my house and I'm not sure I trust it to get me there and back. I was thinking about renting a 26' box truck and nesting them inside. Is this a crazy idea? It's going to cost me about $400 for the truck but it's better than getting stuck. I was thinking about getting a 16' truck and towing a stack of two behind it but all the trucks I've seen only have ball mounts and not receivers...

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box truck idea is nuts. Stake bed might work but you need to check the height. Also need to make sure they will load or assist with loading.

cjk3500

The box truck idea is nuts. Stake bed might work but you need to check the height. Also need to make sure they will load or assist with loading.
The inside dimensions are:

26'5" x 7'8" x 8'3"

I think they should fit...

I have 13" heavy duty ramps so I don't see why I can't load them in with two guys rear first.. I can move my M101A2 around by myself on the flat and lift the lunette up to shoulder height or so. I've seen people nest 4 on flatbed trailers but I'm not sure how long or high the overall package is.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With regard to potentially stacking trailers, I know for a fact that Meade will not stack trailers any longer. I was told this by Justin. If anyone says that he used to help, he told me this, too, but he has decided not to help stack trailers any longer for liability reasons.

cjk3500

With regard to potentially stacking trailers, I know for a fact that Meade will not stack trailers any longer. I was told this by Justin. If anyone says that he used to help, he told me this, too, but he has decided not to help stack trailers any longer for liability reasons.

How long ago did he tell you that? I just talked to him about 2 weeks ago and he told me as long as I had the chains and did all the work his forklift driver could flip and stack...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long ago did he tell you that? I just talked to him about 2 weeks ago and he told me as long as I had the chains and did all the work his forklift driver could flip and stack...
I was there maybe a month ago with POWERHOUSEDEUCE picking up a 5KW generator. We were standing near the bolster trailers and he said that guys ask him to stack trailers. I am pretty sure that Matt heard him, too, but I am not positive of that. He said he used to help, but he does not want to do so any longer. I hope he helps you. That would be cool. You may want to call him to verify that he will stack them, though.

KsM715

Would you be able to secure the trailers inside the truck? Thats alot of weight riding back there if you have someone pull out in front of you and you need to stop in a hurry.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The inside dimensions are:

26'5" x 7'8" x 8'3"

I think they should fit...

I have 13" heavy duty ramps so I don't see why I can't load them in with two guys rear first.. I can move my M101A2 around by myself on the flat and lift the lunette up to shoulder height or so. I've seen people nest 4 on flatbed trailers but I'm not sure how long or high the overall package is.
I don't doubt they'll fit, one way or another. My concern would be securing them. Much easier and safer with a stake or flat bed because you can strap over the top and then to the truck frame.

I'm all for making things easy and I certainly respect the fact that you have asked for advice.

Last edited:

cjk3500

I don't doubt they'll fit, one way or another. My concern would be securing them. Much easier and safer with a stake or flat bed because you can strap over the top and then to the truck frame.

I'm all for making things easy and I certainly respect the fact that you have asked for advice.
That's true about securing them. I don't know if there is any etrack or similar in the uhaul or penske trucks. Do you know of any place that rents stake or flat bed trucks?

pmramsey

I loaded three M105 trailers out of lexington, KY in a 26' Penske box truck in Nov 2009. I dismantled the tarps, bows, and side rails and and backed them up a loading ramp and into the truck. Retracted the landing gear and backed the second trailer over the tongue of the first and did likewise with the third trailer. There is not such a ramp at Meade as there was at Lexington. However, Justin will be more than happy to carefully forklift each into your truck at Meade. Block the wheels from and rear of each trailer. One large strap over each trailer tongue wil be sufficient tie-down. Find a ramp near your home, back up to it and tow each trailer out of the truck.

Your question is not unreasonable. M101s will be far easier.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I loaded three M105 trailers out of lexington, KY in a 26' Penske box truck in Nov 2009. I dismantled the tarps, bows, and side rails and and backed them up a loading ramp and into the truck. Retracted the landing gear and backed the second trailer over the tongue of the first and did likewise with the third trailer. There is not such a ramp at Meade as there was at Lexington. However, Justin will be more than happy to carefully forklift each into your truck at Meade. Block the wheels from and rear of each trailer. One large strap over each trailer tongue wil be sufficient tie-down. Find a ramp near your home, back up to it and tow each trailer out of the truck.

That is, unless crisis braking is encountered. If you can't get around the trailer to propery secure it or the van doesn't have anchors of suitable strength, at least run straps out the back door and secure them from the back to limit forward motion. Most van bodies won't like a 1300# trailer impacting it in the event you have to stand on the binders to avoid Mr and Mrs Q-Tip that didn't see the truck when they turned right.

cjk3500

That is, unless crisis braking is encountered. If you can't get around the trailer to propery secure it or the van doesn't have anchors of suitable strength, at least run straps out the back door and secure them from the back to limit forward motion. Most van bodies won't like a 1300# trailer impacting it in the event you have to stand on the binders to avoid Mr and Mrs Q-Tip that didn't see the truck when they turned right.
I'm looking at a ryder truck that has full tie downs inside and a lift gate :)

I'm still trying to figure out if I can squeeze all 4 in a 24' space without crazy nesting as it will probably hard inside the truck.

cjk3500

Was there any room to spare? I'm just not sure if 4 101s will fit in a row...

Nonotagain

I'm looking at a ryder truck that has full tie downs inside and a lift gate :)

I'm still trying to figure out if I can squeeze all 4 in a 24' space without crazy nesting as it will probably hard inside the truck.
4 M101a3 trailer boxes are over 32' long, so you are going to have to get real creative.
If Justin and crew can't stack them, without side access I don't see how your going to get them to fit.

The only way I see getting them in the box is for you to stack the trailers upside down yourself. Chock the trailer wheels and lift the tongues of the trailers back to back and put something in the stake pockets then ratchet them together.

Other than that, your chit out of luck.

scranch18121

I think renting a box truck for 400 bucks to pick up the trailers is high (unless you got the trailers real cheap). Add in fuel, 'can i get them all in there?", and "will they help me get them in there?" and you might have too much invested in this.

You may want to see if someone could get them for you and store them till you get there with your own truck trailer. Or... do you have a buddy you could pay his fuel, lunch, and dinner... may be a better option.

cjk3500

I think renting a box truck for 400 bucks to pick up the trailers is high (unless you got the trailers real cheap). Add in fuel, 'can i get them all in there?", and "will they help me get them in there?" and you might have too much invested in this.

You may want to see if someone could get them for you and store them till you get there with your own truck trailer. Or... do you have a buddy you could pay his fuel, lunch, and dinner... may be a better option.
I don't have any buddies :(

I reserved a 24' (inside) truck from Budget for $189 for two days with unlimited miles. It says it has a hitch but it's probably just a ball. I was thinking of getting as many inside as I can and then either towing 1 or a stack (if I can mount my pintle hook) or going back again the second day for the rest...

Nonotagain

I don't have any buddies :(

I reserved a 24' (inside) truck from Budget for $189 for two days with unlimited miles. It says it has a hitch but it's probably just a ball. I was thinking of getting as many inside as I can and then either towing 1 or a stack (if I can mount my pintle hook) or going back again the second day for the rest...
If the rental truck has a hitch, this changes the dynamics.
Go to another rental company with your beater truck and rent a car trailer. Then hitch the car trailer to the rental truck and do your recovery.
Gas and tolls from NJ to Ft. Meade towing a trailer wont be cheap. If I remember correctly 4 axles in Delaware will be $12-15, Md will be another $40

Rental trucks get like 8 mpg, so fuel costs need to be weighed against the toll costs.
I'd offer to get one for you but I don't have storage space.