• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have any experience with the Midwest Military Equipment 4 Man Black Soft Top?

diesel_dave

I need to convert my 2 man truck to a 4 man and it seems like Midwest has the kit I need to make that happen for a somewhat reasonable price. If I had to guess, the fact it says "replacement" in the product description leads me to believe this isn't an OEM supplied part like some of the other much more expensive tops they sell. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this product before I order it?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to convert my 2 man truck to a 4 man and it seems like Midwest has the kit I need to make that happen for a somewhat reasonable price. If I had to guess, the fact it says "replacement" in the product description leads me to believe this isn't an OEM supplied part like some of the other much more expensive tops they sell. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this product before I order it?

Don’t get the SECO kit. I know nothing about your question but I do know what not to get ever!

Last edited:

diesel_dave

I emailed Midwest asking where the tops come from and they got back to me right away. They just said they have them manufactured for them since the OEM went out of business.

blutow

I think "replacement" is mainly highlighting that it's just the top and not a 4 man top kit (doors, and everything needed to do the conversion). They do offer some hardware as a $700 add-on, So $1,100 for the top and $1,800 for top and hardware (but still no doors). That price seems reasonable for new product if the quality is there. I paid $3,500 (plus shipping) for a full NOS GMA top kit with doors, etc. in camo last fall. I was on the fence at the time knowing I was paying a premium, but I haven't seen too many up for sale in the last 6 months at any price, so I guess I am a victim of supply and demand. I still think going with a 2 man and adding a $3,500 top/doors was a better path than paying a premium for a 4 man truck at auction that still would have needed a new top and doors.

diesel_dave

I think "replacement" is mainly highlighting that it's just the top and not a 4 man top kit (doors, and everything needed to do the conversion). They do offer some hardware as a $700 add-on, So $1,100 for the top and $1,800 for top and hardware (but still no doors). That price seems reasonable for new product if the quality is there. I paid $3,500 (plus shipping) for a full NOS GMA top kit with doors, etc. in camo last fall. I was on the fence at the time knowing I was paying a premium, but I haven't seen too many up for sale in the last 6 months at any price, so I guess I am a victim of supply and demand. I still think going with a 2 man and adding a $3,500 top/doors was a better path than paying a premium for a 4 man truck at auction that still would have needed a new top and doors.
Agreed that ~$1,800 is still pretty reasonable for the whole kit as long as the top material and construction is decent enough to last a few years in the sun and elements. I was interested in their doors too but they only have CGI images of them so that wasn't very confidence inspiring. I may end up going with the cobratek combo doors and the black top from Midwest.

diesel_dave

The soft top conversion kit and doors showed up yesterday. Unfortunately, the hardware to actually install the soft top was missing from the box and I am not yet having any luck getting Midwest Military Equipment to send the missing hardware so I am dead in the water for now. In the meantime, does anyone know the PN for these grommet nut things that the side rails screw in to? Several of mine are beyond saving. The parts diagram in the TM shows them but doesn't actually have a callout for the PN which isn't very helpful.

Besides the missing hardware, the frame pieces and actual soft top seem to be of high quality which is good.

Attachments

Action

The soft top conversion kit and doors showed up yesterday. Unfortunately, the hardware to actually install the soft top was missing from the box and I am not yet having any luck getting Midwest Military Equipment to send the missing hardware so I am dead in the water for now. In the meantime, does anyone know the PN for these grommet nut things that the side rails screw in to? Several of mine are beyond saving. The parts diagram in the TM shows them but doesn't actually have a callout for the PN which isn't very helpful.

Besides the missing hardware, the frame pieces and actual soft top seem to be of high quality which is good.
Wellnuts. You can get them at lowes or home depot.
.1650496436760.png

diesel_dave

Wellnuts. You can get them at lowes or home depot.
.View attachment 865396
I actually dug through the bins at Lowes today and found those. Lowes didn't have any that seemed like a close enough size to fit so maybe I will give Home Depot a shot tomorrow. I have to admit I was looking at them and couldn't figure out how they work. What keeps the whole thing from just pulling out of the hole? The ones that came on the truck are more like grommets that secure to the sheet metal like a normal grommet. These well nuts are just like cylinders that seem like they would pull right out, if that makes any sense?

Sigi

The well nuts holding the intake stack bracket to the windshield frame are 1/2 inch OD , 1/4x20 thread. You can get them at some hardware stores or online. Don't know if the side rail well nuts are the same.

I noticed that the Midwest website indicates it does not come with installation hardware even if you select the $700 hardware (bows, ,C pillar etc) add-on. The installation hardware can be bought from other vendors at an additional $300+. I thought it was steep for some bolts but it looks like it includes some other items.

Last edited:

diesel_dave

The well nuts holding the intake stack bracket to the windshield frame are 1/2 inch OD , 1/4x20 thread. You can get them at some hardware stores or online. Don't know if the side rail well nuts are the same.

I noticed that the Midwest website indicates it does not come with installation hardware even if you select the $700 hardware (bows, ,C pillar etc) add-on. The installation hardware can be bought from other vendors at an additional $300+. I thought it was steep for some bolts but it looks like it includes some other items.
Thanks! I'm about to head to the store to see if I can find some well nuts. Their product page listing says the hardware required for installation is included minus the fasteners. It was about $5 worth of stainless steel screws and bolts that I had to buy. I'm not sure why they don't just include them. My package didn't come with any mounting hardware (basically the brackets I guess) so I'm trying to see if they will send it. They asked what I'm missing and I said I don't know what I should have received. Haha.

diesel_dave

Got some 10-32 well nuts at Home Depot that fit perfectly. That allowed me to move one step farther and find the next issue with the kit. The brackets that mount the bow frame to the side rails don't fit over the side rails because they used different rivnuts than the OEM rails which are more flush. Also, the new bows are too wide and wont line up without putting a lot of pressure on the side rails. Just sent them an email asking if they will be sending new brackets that fit their side rails and also asking what I should do about the wider bow frames.

Attachments

Sigi

Got some 10-32 well nuts at Home Depot that fit perfectly. That allowed me to move one step farther and find the next issue with the kit. The brackets that mount the bow frame to the side rails don't fit over the side rails because they used different rivnuts than the OEM rails which are more flush. Also, the new bows are too wide and wont line up without putting a lot of pressure on the side rails. Just sent them an email asking if they will be sending new brackets that fit their side rails and also asking what I should do about the wider bow frames.
I understand that the Humvee is built to 1/4 inch tolerances. One item 1/4 short, the other 1/4 long, it could add to 1/2 inch. Maybe that is what you are seeing. Usually things can be "adjusted" to make things work.

I'm about to purchase the same top. Please keep the updates coming.

diesel_dave

I understand that the Humvee is built to 1/4 inch tolerances. One item 1/4 short, the other 1/4 long, it could add to 1/2 inch. Maybe that is what you are seeing. Usually things can be "adjusted" to make things work.

I'm about to purchase the same top. Please keep the updates coming.
Yes, I'm definitely starting to notice the "hand made" build quality of these trucks. Gives them a little character.

At this point the kit hasn't exactly been plug and play like I would have hoped. I'll have to wait and see what the hardware I receive does before passing final judgement. I'm almost certainly going to have to bend the bows a little more which kind of sucks. I'll let you know what Midwest says when they email back. I'll be driving around in full convertible mode until then, I guess.

diesel_dave

Finally got the top installed. It was one of the most frustrating endeavors I have ever undertaken (and I work on fighter jets for a living). I'll get more pictures of it tomorrow but I have a few questions that hopefully I can get some help with.

1.) Any ideas on how to repair this rubber grommet/fabric that I accidentally gave an episiotomy on? Picture attached
2.) What pop rivet gun are you guys using to rivet the turnbuttons? I have tried two different models and both will not fit due to the tight clearance between the rivet and twisty part of the turnbutton.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks