• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone have the cab heater randomly work/not work?

SIMXVertigo

So about 2 months ago I went out to start the truck (97 M1078) and the in cab heater will not turn on. I mean nothing will work. No heat and the blower won't turn on. I tested the fuses, ran a volt meter on the panel and everything is getting power. I came back a few days later and it worked just fine. Fast forward today as I go out to start the truck to bring up to the front bay so I can swap the air dryer in the morning and the heater wont work. Drive the up to the bay and the heater works! I'm at a loss. NOW, before anyone says it, I'm going to go over the TM's in the morning and see what I can find.

Anyone have ideas?

coachgeo

Will (Suprman) has mentioned that the Power Supply Panel's soders on the back side at times need some work so that might be a place your loosing voltage contact?? Ground wire??

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread here that discusses an electrical connection in the heater that is faulty and can actually catch fire.
Wow, that's good to know NDT! I hadn't picked up on that thread in all my reading to date.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The switch has the speed resistors, which are coils of wire, built on to the back of the switch. Not the best design but as long as all is in place as intended it works. Something gets bent a bit or out of place and you can get a nasty short. The coiled wire will light up like a light bulb. Take the heater face off and peek around in there. I have seen the fans go bad if the motor has a bad winding I could see it stopping on the bad one here and there and not wanting to spin up till it moved a bit to a good winding.
Will

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also the breaker type fuses can act a bit funny. But my best advise is a hammer and if that doesn't fix it , then it must be an electrical issue. I also have a complete takeout heater unit as well.

800summit

I had the same problem with mine, the problem was the fan switch, it melted a contact. and the wire then came off the heater switch.I was able to solder a new wire directly to the switch, then ordered a new switch as a backup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks