• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone in the Ft Campbell area? and some electrical questions m1009

myko2012

Pic of the burnt fusible link

Anyone here in the Ft Campbell area?

Anyways, after a IP replacement, I pieced everything back together, turn the ignition to ON and thats when things started to sizzle. One of the fusible links burned for sure near the GP relay. I haven't been able to see what else burned.

There was one wire in question when I reconnected everything, the thick black wire from the negative bus on the firewall, I looked at the wiring diagram and it leads to the slave cable? Or should it be grounded to the engine?

The only thing I changed electrically during this whole thing was adding an electric fuel pump. I wired with an inline fuse to the black/pink striped wire that used to be connected to the stock filter assembly.

I checked all the fuses under the dash and to the fuel pump, nothing is blown. There was some smoking in the engine bay that smell electrical.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

On the back of the intake near the fire wall you should have three wires you ground to an intake bolt. if you did not ground them there that might be your issue. if its not grounded your small ground wire on the front battery may be toast.

myko2012

Hmmm, I did ground that big black wire to the rear intake bolt. There braided wire from the firewall to intake, small black wire to intake bolt (I can't remember where it comes from), and the big black wire from the bus behind rear battery on the firewall grounded to rear intake bolt.

Cucvnut

Is your fuel pump wired in to the ignition ? Since you saw smoke by the relay you might have burnt up with GP buss on the fire wall you can bypass it and rewire the gp relay.

myko2012

The fuel pump is wired with an inline fuse to the black/pink striped wire that gives 12v ign. Went to the fuel filter assembly. 2 wire connector, I can't remember what color the other wire is.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not too far from you but know very little about CUCV electrical systems.

myko2012

So I checked everything over again. Turn the ignition on and again immediately burned this fusible link, can someone steer me in the right direction? Red fusible link. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401670827.998895.jpg

ke5eua

While I don't know the CUCV electrical system I do know electrical principals.

You have a short and it is finding the least resistant path to ground.

If your fuse did not blow and the wire started to burn then your fuse is probably rated to high and allowed the wire to get to hot.

If your fuse did blow then it did it's job, you still have a short in it's path.

Trace everything along that path. You will most likely find the problem along the path of the burnt wires / blown fuse.

Last edited:

myko2012

Got everything fixed. When I replaced the IP, I had to swap out the shut off solenoid from 24v to the 12v version. In doing so the spade was just barely touching the IP causing the short.

Hooked up the connections to the electric fuel pump and fired right up.

Running strong now. No more losing power uphill. No more fuel leaking from bell housing. Just running strong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks