• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Install 15 KW Gen Head In MEP-803A?

CT-Mike

So l was looking into the specs for the DN4M/LPW4 engine, it has a continuous power rating of 17 KW at 1800 rpm. So that got me to thinking that I could put an -804 gen head on the machine and still be under the engines continuous power rating.

Thoughts?

TooMuchWork

The 804 is a 10 wire generator head so 120/240 single phase is out of the question (without a transformer) and that's why I got rid of mine. Also the generator head of the 804 is substantially larger than the one on the 803. A 15-20kw non-military "aftermarket" generator head would be a lot more feasible with a few other upgrades for the added amperage. While the lpw4/dn4m is accessible it would be hard not to throw on a turbo charger and electronic governor on it for good measures...

CT-Mike

Ahh, I was thinking the -804 was a 12 wire head like the -004 and could be configured for low zigzag mode. Oh well, it was an interesting thought.

Thanks for for the feedback.

Korgoth1

I put a 24kw chinese head from georgia generator on the 400hz version of the 004. I have burned up 2 of these heads, one was because I mounted it solid instead of through a lovejoy(beat the bearing out) and the other because I ran it overloaded in hot weather. It surprised me how long even a cheap head will last overloaded.

Last edited:

Korgoth1

Judging by the size and weight of the 803a gen head, I feel it should pull 14kw the way it is. Before swapping heads I would just put 15kw on it and measure the gen head heat, I am curious what the unit will actually handle myself...

Korgoth1

When you had the 802 loaded to 8kw, how did the engine seem to handle it? And when do you believe the 803 engine began to struggle? You didnt happen to check the gen head heat did you?

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I have a few video which show the MEP-802A and MEP-803A running. I am not sure what your asking for. Here is a video clip working my MEP-802A loading 3 phase with the Essex load bank. Showing the amps per leg with each load change. You can hear what the engine is doing. Out of all the times I have run the gensets, I have never taken the temperature of the gen head. The biggest heat component is the working engine.

https://youtu.be/FA0jvnN7Ikw

jimbo913

I think the limit of the generators would be where the voltage and/or freq drop to unacceptable levels, not necessarily the engine sound or temperature.
I have viewed some of the load bank videos and just because the engine doesn't die does not mean that it can properly handle a load.

Korgoth1

The 803 gen head is only slightly smaller (stator is about an inch shorter) than a 25kw wanco genhead I have, with the 802 being a few inches shorter. I have another head that is 3 phase I will compare them to. Of course it would be nice to know the weight and insulation class for a full comparison.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
You also lose the conservative rating of 10kw 24/7. Like anything, you do not want to run a engine at absolute 100% all the time and expect it to run around the clock. Yes, I have put a serious load on my MEP-803A. A good solid 133% load. But, I am only following the instructions for working the unit. I also only bring it up to 133% for a short period like it says. I usually have it up at 133% for 15 minutes or less. The engine is working hard, its smoking, the temps are rising (oil temp, engine temp, exhaust temp)

I would rather take a MEP-805 and have a 12 wire gen head to run a clean 120/240 single phase