• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone install Banks Turbo in a M1010?

WARWAG

Wouldnt it just be easier to swap in a standard 12 volt alternator and brackets from a civi 6.2? You said you converted it to 12 volt right? This might make the conversion a drop in after that. That to me would seem to be the absolute easiest and quickest way to install the Banks kit. You could then sell you M1010 alts I bet for some decent cash.

Last edited:

chevymike

Wouldnt it just be easier to swap in a standard 12 volt alternator and brackets from a civi 6.2? You said you converted it to 12 volt right? This might make the conversion a drop in after that.
Likely easier but I just bought this alt at $525. It's WAY more heavy duty than any of the standard alts. This thing can put out almost 90 amps at idle and about 210 amps max. With my plans of a 4 battery system, this alt works way better for my needs.

I'll come up with a plan and looks like I will break new ground in doing so.

CUCV85

leave it alone or CHEAPLY Modify for NON Everyday uses

Yah. Thats a Monster Alternator! Never mind my previous post.
Likely easier but I just bought this alt at $525. It's WAY more heavy duty than any of the standard alts. This thing can put out almost 90 amps at idle and about 210 amps max. With my plans of a 4 battery system, this alt works way better for my needs.

I'll come up with a plan and looks like I will break new ground in doing so.
I hate to say it, sell what you have and do a civilian Install, what the h e double hockey sticks do YOU need a Military application!? Just bustin chops but a Civilian Application works just fine. For EXTENDED Maneuvers Missions ETC the Military Needed the most heavy duty OUT PUT they could render on the builds and design builds! I hate to say it but Unless you use this Vehicle which has already been modified for your personal use - To EVERYDAY full Utility uses, than you need not such a Military application. The Crossover to 12 volts is Totally understandable once leaving intended Military 24 volt intended uses and purpose. I am apologizing now that you spent that sort of coin to modify the Original Design. I keep most Original Design as is unless Failure or Necessary MODIFICATION is needed. If you are using this vehicle and it's utility body for Camping... I would keep it as CHEAP and Practical as you Need!
I always start with Good Cheap Batteries for Camping Vehicles. So that the parts can be replaced when they fail and you don't FEEL so bad. It doesn't take much to turn these 6.2L engines over in a 12 volt Conversion. Running 2 cheap 700 Cold Cranking amp batteries WORKS. They provide as much cranking as needed, hold a great Charge and WILL run Your Modified Utility body 12 volt applications. Start it up and run the engine every hour and a half for 15 min on an idle and it will FULLY charge those cheap batteries and you'll enjoy an Efficient Camping Rig.

Last edited:

chevymike

Well, as it is, it won't matter. I am selling this to another person who should be picking it up early next week. I replaced it already with a '97 Dodge Ram, extended cab, 4x4 long bed with a Cummins diesel. :beer: In the long run I will be money ahead and have a vehicle that can keep up with traffic. It's been a fun ride but time to move forward for my needs. Thanks everyone.

bevanet

"More pressing plans are for some sort of an overdrive setup. Can't decide between a 4L85E or a Gear Vendors. Plus and minuses to each."

I know this thread is almost dead since chevymike is now becoming dodgemike :).

What transmission and what diff ratio do the cucv's have? My blazer has a 700R4 with an overdrive. The trans is weak (I've replaced 6 of them in 190k miles) but the overdrive is nice. I have 3.73 gears with 12.50 X 33 tires and the gearing seems about perfect to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks