• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know the weight of a fully dressed 8.3L?

ScubaCat

12-1500lbs sound good? or is it more? I understand it to be one of the lighter powerplants used so far...I need to transport one.

brianp454

I did a LTL shipment of MRAP wheels and they absolutely soaked me on the overweight issue. You might want to have a conversation with the carrier or even have them quote it for a couple estimates for weight.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
8.3's in the can have been estimated at 4100 pounds by GL in the past, which is about a thousand pounds more than the deuce engines in a can. I doubt all the extra weight is in the can and the LDT/LDS engines weigh about 1850. YMMV.

Trango

Thanks guys... wow from a weight perspective maybe a 5.9L is just as useful/powerful...
The 8.3 is not that much more heavy or big than the 5.9 (it is only approximately 4 inches both longer and taller, and perhaps less than a few hundred additional pounds - this thread says 1500 vs 1100 lbs), and has a MUCH bigger runway for power. It's safe, at similar levels of boost, to use a straight arithmetic comparison for the power generated between the 5.9 and the 8.3 usable liters on these engines, with the 8.3 about 40% bigger and therefore roughly that much more powerful than the 5.9.

As a quick anecdote, I passed a Subaru on Saturday morning, going up a hill. He wasn't exactly moving that quickly, but when I pulled into the passing lane to overtake him, once I put my foot down, I sure did. I have a #10 plate in my P-pumped 8.3, but my engine is otherwise stock. It just moves that quickly.

So, while the 5.9 is a certainly capable mill, the 8.3 is outstanding with minor mods.

This thread on pirate says more.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Depends on where it's going. I'd put a 5.9 in a deuce all day long. 8.3 of course would be a natural fit in the 939 series. But a repower in a M54 or variant with a 5.9 would be acceptable in my book as well. (Engine bay) M809 probably would lend better to the 8.3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks